26 May 2004 08:40:44
teak
Betting types/ Smarty Jones odds

Off track betting on horse racing is available for almost any
thoroughbred track in North America and most betting on horse racing
wagers placed online are not part of a track's pari-mutual odds, thus
your bet WILL NOT affect the track odds.

Basic betting on horse racing wagers

WIN: When you select a horse to win, you collect if your horse
finishes first.

PLACE: You collect if your horse finishes first or second.

SHOW: You collect if your horse finishes first, second or third.

ACROSS THE BOARD: Betting across the board is simply making an equal
win, place and show wager on one horse. "$2 across the board on number
six" is the same as saying $2 to win, $2 to place and $2 to show on
number 6 for a total of $6.

Now here is my question, If I place $1000 on place or show and Smarty
wins, do I get the same pay out as a win? How about Across The Board?

Now If I have 1g to gamble with, how is that effected with different
bets? Would there be a difference in betting place,show or across the
board?

Thanks

26 May 2004 17:43:07
Bob M
Re: Betting types/ Smarty Jones odds

OK. When everyone is done betting. Figure that the track takes 20%. so if
odds are 3-1 that means for every dollar bet you win 3. and that means 20%
bet on the horse. With win only 1 horse needs to be paid. In place 2 do as
well as the 20% take. In the case of Smarty about 50% will be bet on him
and he will pay probably 3.40 to win on a 2 dollar bet. Place is another
matter. Second choice is probably going to be 5-1 OR about 13%. so there
is 100% -20%track take minus 63% to get both horses back to 2.00 that leaves
approx 18% (17 in know but lets stick with whole numbers folks) that leaves
9% to each horse. Smarty would likely pay 2.20 to place or return 10 cents
on the dollar. Rock hard ten would pay 3.20 for a 2.00 place bet but 12 for
a 2 dollar win bet. With show you have to subtract 20% takeout and the
percent all three have bet on them and devide the remainder by 3. The best
way to figure it out is assume 20% takeout it is really 17% but when you add
breakage it probably creaps to 20% anyway. Here is an example
HORSE # 1 40% bet on it
#2 20% bet on it
#3 10% bet on it
track takes 20% 100-20=80 percent.
Win payouts would be 4.00 for the 1 IF it comes in first. 8.00 if the 2
comes in first to win and 16.00 if the 3 comes in first. as for place if
its a 1-2 finish that is 60% of the money bet on the 2 place pool winners
20%takeout. leaves 20% for payout giving the #1and #2 horse 10% so the 1
would pay about 2.50 and the 2 would pay 3.00. IF the results have the 1
and three come in 1st or 2nd that would be 50% or 100%-20%takeout=
80% -50%=30%devided by 2 =15 percent the one would pay about 2.80 to place
(approx) and the 3 would pay 5.00 to place. As far as show a whopping 70%
is bet on the 3 horses and with takeout (20%) that is 90% leaving 10% to be
split making payouts track minimum 2.10 Tracks have insurance for this. If
a 10-1 and 2 20-1 show that is only 16% on show resulting in 64% being split
or 21% each and a 10-1 with 7% bet on it could pay 8.00 to show. or a
lowely 2.10 to show. Hope this helps. I still think you are better off not
betting that money on one horse....BOB
"teak" <teak@linuxmail.org > wrote in message
> Off track betting on horse racing is available for almost any
> thoroughbred track in North America and most betting on horse racing
> wagers placed online are not part of a track's pari-mutual odds, thus
> your bet WILL NOT affect the track odds.
>
> Basic betting on horse racing wagers
>
> WIN: When you select a horse to win, you collect if your horse
> finishes first.
>
> PLACE: You collect if your horse finishes first or second.
>
> SHOW: You collect if your horse finishes first, second or third.
>
> ACROSS THE BOARD: Betting across the board is simply making an equal
> win, place and show wager on one horse. "$2 across the board on number
> six" is the same as saying $2 to win, $2 to place and $2 to show on
> number 6 for a total of $6.
>
> Now here is my question, If I place $1000 on place or show and Smarty
> wins, do I get the same pay out as a win? How about Across The Board?
>
> Now If I have 1g to gamble with, how is that effected with different
> bets? Would there be a difference in betting place,show or across the
> board?
>
> Thanks

26 May 2004 15:00:05
Ken Woodall
Re: Betting types/ Smarty Jones odds

Listed payout for w/p/s is same as across he board. I suggest you
judge potential payoffs as to only the profit return. A $4 win payoff is
100% profit; a $3 place payoff is 50% profit; a $2.20 shot payoff is 10%
profit; look at payoff profit in relation to assessed risk (your
estimation of % chance of your horse finishing where needed). A horse
you figure has a 50% chance to win needs to go off at even odds for you
to break even. If you want to bet a horse to show that may pay $2.20, it
needs a 90% chance to finish in the money.
--------------
I always assess a horse's chances to win, or place and show
seperately as individual bets. Since in my place/show system I bet
either place or show but not both, I do not bet across-the-board. The
most I do is win and either place or show at the same time.

27 May 2004 01:08:28
Ream
Re: Betting types/ Smarty Jones odds

"teak" <teak@linuxmail.org > wrote

> Off track betting on horse racing is available for almost any
> thoroughbred track in North America and most betting on horse racing
> wagers placed online are not part of a track's pari-mutual odds, thus
> your bet WILL NOT affect the track odds.

This is incorrect. Most wagers placed online are part of the
host track parimutuel system. So you do get the track payouts.
If you have an account offshore, then more likely than not, you
won't get the track payouts.

I'm assuming your in america?

Laters......

27 May 2004 01:53:48

Ream wrote:

> "teak" <teak@linuxmail.org> wrote
>
> > Off track betting on horse racing is available for almost any
> > thoroughbred track in North America and most betting on horse racing
> > wagers placed online are not part of a track's pari-mutual odds, thus
> > your bet WILL NOT affect the track odds.
>
> This is incorrect. Most wagers placed online are part of the
> host track parimutuel system. So you do get the track payouts.
> If you have an account offshore, then more likely than not, you
> won't get the track payouts.

All the legal online services in the U.S. send the money to the host
track.
Just like a street bookie the offshore places have payout limits, usually
something like 20/8/4. Until the Nevada books were allowed to send money to
tracks they usually offered full track odds for wagers up to a certain
amount and then had limits.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

27 May 2004 04:57:28
Ren

<barlow@amenia.com > wrote in message news:40B54A2A.AD3249B@amenia.com...
> > "teak" <teak@linuxmail.org> wrote
> >
> > > Off track betting on horse racing is available for almost any
> > > thoroughbred track in North America and most betting on horse racing
> > > wagers placed online are not part of a track's pari-mutual odds, thus
> > > your bet WILL NOT affect the track odds.
> >
> > This is incorrect. Most wagers placed online are part of the
> > host track parimutuel system. So you do get the track payouts.
> > If you have an account offshore, then more likely than not, you
> > won't get the track payouts.
> >

> All the legal online services in the U.S. send the money to the host
> track.
> Just like a street bookie the offshore places have payout limits, usually
> something like 20/8/4. Until the Nevada books were allowed to send money
> tracks they usually offered full track odds for wagers up to a certain
> amount and then had limits.

> To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

If anyone bets near the US borders then they really should check out Betfair

http://www.betfair.com/

They won't accept money from US bank accounts or credit card without a
signed paper saying you will only place bets outside the USA but by christ
it opens up a whole new world if you want to hop the border (do they check
ISP and locations?). If you hate a horse you can back it to lose etc etc

Ren