28 May 2004 22:35:52
Louis Epstein
Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.

That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...

which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.

They're from Pennsylvania,I'm from New York,it's their horse...
but...darn it!!

(I hope he's in the Jockey Club Gold Cup...and since they'd like
to run him as a 4-year-old,why not this year's AND next year's?)

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.


29 May 2004 09:47:49
SamPiper
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

>From: Louis Epstein lepslog@shell.fcc.net

>The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
>at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.

This surprises you? Hell, I was almost expecting Philly Park to announce some
kind of "incentive" bonus if he managed to win it.

Sam
E Pluribus e Moose-us


29 May 2004 18:47:50
E-man
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

Ye verily, on Fri, 28 May 2004 22:35:52 -0500, Louis Epstein
<lepslog@shell.fcc.net > did inscribe thusly:

>The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
>at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.

Good for them - giving something back to the folks at home. I would
have been surprised if they decided otherwise.

>
>That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...
>
>which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
>first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.

Oh well, gotta leave something for the likes of Tapit and The Cliff's
Edge to fight over... ;-)

>
>They're from Pennsylvania,I'm from New York,it's their horse...
>but...darn it!!
>
>(I hope he's in the Jockey Club Gold Cup...and since they'd like
>to run him as a 4-year-old,why not this year's AND next year's?)

The Gold Cup is no longer the great test it was up to the mid-70's,
when they shrank it down from 2 miles. When is it scheduled? If it
conflicts with the Breeder's Cup it's obvious where they'll take "The
Smart One".

E-man



29 May 2004 19:45:16
lostinspace
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

----- Original Message -----
From: "E-man" < >
Newsgroups: alt.sport.horse-racing
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers


> Ye verily, on Fri, 28 May 2004 22:35:52 -0500, Louis Epstein
> <> did inscribe thusly:
>
> >The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
> >at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.
>
> Good for them - giving something back to the folks at home. I would
> have been surprised if they decided otherwise.
>
> >
> >That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...
> >
> >which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
> >first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.
>
> Oh well, gotta leave something for the likes of Tapit and The Cliff's
> Edge to fight over... ;-)
>
> >
> >They're from Pennsylvania,I'm from New York,it's their horse...
> >but...darn it!!
> >
> >(I hope he's in the Jockey Club Gold Cup...and since they'd like
> >to run him as a 4-year-old,why not this year's AND next year's?)
>
> The Gold Cup is no longer the great test it was up to the mid-70's,
> when they shrank it down from 2 miles. When is it scheduled? If it
> conflicts with the Breeder's Cup it's obvious where they'll take "The
> Smart One".
>
> E-man
>

The Jockey Club Gold Cup, 86th Running on Saturday, October 2, 2004
$1,000,000 1 1/4 3&UP Grade:I,




29 May 2004 23:30:31
Morehits4u
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

>Subject: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers
>From: Louis Epstein lepslog@shell.fcc.net

>The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
>at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.
>
>That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...
>
>which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
>first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.
>
>They're from Pennsylvania,I'm from New York,it's their horse...
>but...darn it!!
>
>(I hope he's in the Jockey Club Gold Cup...and since they'd like

Oh .. if only the above were the most
important thing in life....No matter if the
horse wins at Belmont or not....IMHO he
is gonna get a long rest. I say to his
connections ..Do what is best for the
horse....


29 May 2004 19:01:32
Louis Epstein
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

lostinspace <lostinspace@123-universe.com > wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "E-man" <>
> Newsgroups: alt.sport.horse-racing
> Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 2:47 PM
> Subject: Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers
>
>
>> Ye verily, on Fri, 28 May 2004 22:35:52 -0500, Louis Epstein
>> <> did inscribe thusly:
>>
>> >The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
>> >at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.
>>
>> Good for them - giving something back to the folks at home. I would
>> have been surprised if they decided otherwise.
>>
>> >
>> >That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...
>> >
>> >which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
>> >first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.
>>
>> Oh well, gotta leave something for the likes of Tapit and The Cliff's
>> Edge to fight over... ;-)
>>
>> >
>> >They're from Pennsylvania,I'm from New York,it's their horse...
>> >but...darn it!!
>> >
>> >(I hope he's in the Jockey Club Gold Cup...and since they'd like
>> >to run him as a 4-year-old,why not this year's AND next year's?)
>>
>> The Gold Cup is no longer the great test it was up to the mid-70's,
>> when they shrank it down from 2 miles. When is it scheduled? If it
>> conflicts with the Breeder's Cup it's obvious where they'll take "The
>> Smart One".
>>
>> E-man
>>
>
> The Jockey Club Gold Cup, 86th Running on Saturday, October 2, 2004
> $1,000,000 1 1/4 3&UP Grade:I,

The NYRA page touts it as a Breeder's Cup prep,but NY chauvinist
and history buff that I am I resent the BC for its youth,and usual
distance.

I don't think the JCGC was 2 miles as recently as the '70s,though it
was a mile and a half fairly recently.

Anyway,if he's not in the Whitney or the Woodward it could be his
first run at older horses.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.


30 May 2004 00:52:38
Forty-Y
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

> The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
> at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.
>
> That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...
>
> which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
> first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.
>
If SJ wins the t-crown, the only sensible goal would be the BC Classic. The Penn
Dby would be part of a prep series for the BC.




30 May 2004 02:17:54
Ray Gordon
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers


> I don't think the JCGC was 2 miles as recently as the '70s,though it
> was a mile and a half fairly recently.

It was two miles until an $18,000 claimer won it, and it was 1.5 miles until
Peat Moss, a former $10,000 claim (and $35,000 claimer when he wasn't
getting starter cap eligibility), almost upset John Henry.





30 May 2004 19:22:18
Louis Epstein
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

Ray Gordon <ray@cybersheet.com > wrote:
>
>> I don't think the JCGC was 2 miles as recently as the '70s,though it
>> was a mile and a half fairly recently.
>
> It was two miles until an $18,000 claimer won it, and it was 1.5 miles
> until Peat Moss, a former $10,000 claim (and $35,000 claimer when he wasn't
> getting starter cap eligibility), almost upset John Henry.
>

Seems like it's run by people who have a thing against horses
who are best at long distances!

Personally,I'd love to see plate racing and stayers' stakes make
a comeback.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.


30 May 2004 19:23:40
Louis Epstein
Re: Argh...Smarty is Skipping the Travers

Forty-Y <everswan@earthlink.net > wrote:
>> The Chapmans want to run Smarty Jones in the Pennsylvania Derby
>> at their home base Philadelphia Park,according to the NY Times.
>>
>> That Grade III event invented in the 1970s will be September 6th...
>>
>> which pretty much knocks him out of the 135th Travers Stakes,Grade I,
>> first run in 1864,which will be August 28th.
>>
> If SJ wins the t-crown, the only sensible goal would be the BC Classic.
> The Penn Dby would be part of a prep series for the BC.

I am prejudiced in favor of
1)races that have been around a long time and
2)races that are in New York.

The Breeders' Cup fails on both counts.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.