30 Aug 2003 03:25:40
`F.H
Anyone here remember Majestic Prince?

Surprised his name hasn't come up. Hands down the most beautiful horse
I've ever seen. The question that was always on my mind about this one
was what would he have accomplished with a trainer like Charlie
Whittingham instead of Johnny Longden. Speaking of Whittingham, how
about Ack Ack?

Frank

29 Aug 2003 23:41:42
Luramao
Re: Anyone here remember Majestic Prince?

I remember him, he was indeed gorgeous. Bad ankles though. I
remember a picture or article in the BloodHorse with the title "Theirs
not to reason why" - regarding knowing the horse was unsound but HAD TO
run in the Belmont. I believe that was the last time he ever ran, but
still, wouldve won the Triple Crown except for the appearance of another
excellent horse, Arts and Letters..... Wasnt he unbeaten up to the
Belmont?

30 Aug 2003 04:56:22
`F.H

Morehits4u wrote:

> >Subject: Anyone here remember Majestic Prince?
> >From: "`F.H" disconnected@earthlink.net
>
> >Surprised his name hasn't come up. Hands down the most beautiful horse
> >I've ever seen. The question that was always on my mind about this one
> >was what would he have accomplished with a trainer like Charlie
> >Whittingham instead of Johnny Longden. Speaking of Whittingham, how
> >about Ack Ack?
> >
> >Frank
> >
> >In those olde days...the seventies...
> 40,000 fans came to Santa Anita and
> Hollywood on Weekends.. Ack Ack was
> one of the stars. Harry Gugenheim so
> loved that horse that it is reported .. that
> when the horse died ..Harry never
> recovered .. a beaten man...

I think Ack Ack was Charlie's favorite. On race day no stable hand led
Ack Ack to the paddock, it was Charlie. And you could tell how proud he
was.

Frank

30 Aug 2003 06:05:18
Tim Yatcak
Re: Anyone here remember Majestic Prince?

. Speaking of Whittingham, how
> >about Ack Ack?
> >
> >Frank
> >
> >In those olde days...the seventies...
> 40,000 fans came to Santa Anita and
> Hollywood on Weekends.. Ack Ack was
> one of the stars.

Saw him in Paris Ky the Winter before he died - still had the "look of
eagles". Funny aside: back when I knew EVERYTHING about racing, I took a
friend to Hollywood the week before the the Hollywood Gold Cup. As we looked
at the horses in the paddock, I explained what was happening. Noticing an
animal without a number, I duitfully explained that this was NO DOUBT a two
year old schooling in the paddock....that is until I noticed he chest and
that amazing black coat. Old Harry Henson reported that "the multiple stakes
winner Ack Ack is now being schooled in the paddock for his upcoming
appearance in the Hollywood Gold Cup." Did I feel foolish!

I recall he won a contest and paid 2.40 2.10 and 2.10. It was another
Whittingham pupil that helped him win the 1970 championship (Eclipse) as
Horse of the Year. Cougar II was the only horse who could get close to this
"10 furlong sprinter" Ack Ack, and when he went East and got sick (it is
rumored he missed his banty rooster and sulked) Cougar went back there and
destroyed all comers to show what a quality black monster he was.

This one won a five furlong spint (in near track record time) two weeks
before he won the Gold Cup in wire to wire fashion under 134 pounds after
going 6 furlongs in 1:09, mile in 1:34 1/5 to finish in 1:59 4/5. Paid more
to place than to win.

Amazing animal. a bit like Forego in his ability to carry weight, sprint and
route. Not a bad sire from the Domino line.

Tim Yatcak

30 Aug 2003 06:06:34
Tim Yatcak

"Luramao" <luramao@webtv.net > wrote in message
> I remember him, he was indeed gorgeous. Bad ankles though. I
> remember a picture or article in the BloodHorse with the title "Theirs
> not to reason why" - regarding knowing the horse was unsound but HAD TO
> run in the Belmont. I believe that was the last time he ever ran, but
> still, wouldve won the Triple Crown except for the appearance of another
> excellent horse, Arts and Letters..... Wasnt he unbeaten up to the
> Belmont?

Thanks to the stupidity of Frank McMahon he ended his days in that race.

30 Aug 2003 18:20:43
Tim Yatcak

"`F.H" <disconnected@earthlink.net > wrote in message
> Tim Yatcak wrote:
> I recall Native Diver as black, not Ack Ack.

Yes he was very dark brown but often sweated a lot and looked darker. When I
saw him years later he was much lighter.

Then there was the unforgettable race (Gold Cup?)
> where the owners of Cougar II dropped Shoemaker and opted for Pincay.
> Shoe then put on a riding exhibition, beating Cougar II and winning with
> Kennedy Road.

Don't piss off a great rider. Mary (Miss Florshiem) learned that the hard
way.

TIm Yatcak

30 Aug 2003 19:56:54
Tim Yatcak

> Tim Yatcak wrote:
> > Built quite differently than Ferdinand. Ack Ack appeared more like a
> weight lifter (for lack of a better description). Stout, muscled. What
> was the name of that other (similarly built) horse that Charlie loved
> (and touted) but that never quite lived up to billing?

Excavator, Strodes Creek?? The former was an enrmornous Mr. Prospector I
believe that did not have any stamina.

TIm

30 Aug 2003 21:16:10
`F.H

Tim Yatcak wrote:

> "`F.H" <disconnected@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Tim Yatcak wrote:
> > > Built quite differently than Ferdinand. Ack Ack appeared more like a
> > weight lifter (for lack of a better description). Stout, muscled. What
> > was the name of that other (similarly built) horse that Charlie loved
> > (and touted) but that never quite lived up to billing?
>
> Excavator, Strodes Creek?? The former was an enrmornous Mr. Prospector I
> believe that did not have any stamina.

That's the one. Excavator. Ran one huge race as I recall then became a
money eater and would up in Alw company. Charlie talked him up quite a
bit early on.

Frank

31 Aug 2003 06:50:02
dave

"`F.H" wrote:

> Surprised his name hasn't come up. Hands down the most beautiful horse
> I've ever seen. The question that was always on my mind about this one
> was what would he have accomplished with a trainer like Charlie
> Whittingham instead of Johnny Longden. Speaking of Whittingham, how
> about Ack Ack?
>
> Frank

Ack Ack still holds the Del Mar 5.5 furlong sprint record ( after 30+ years
!}.

Always liked to watch him work.. really dug in .. naturally curly mane.

Could sprint or route.

deeb

01 Sep 2003 14:07:52
Stricker Ralph
Re: Anyone here remember Majestic Prince?

Longden didn't want to run him in the Belmont. The owner/s over ruled him.
Ralph Stricker