09 Jul 2004 12:41:14
Clark
current condition

Hi folks,
I've been reading some of your posts and I would like to hear some of
your opinions. I've been away from the game for many years, but
suddenly I got the itch again. I was a big fan of Ray Taulbot and
American Turf Monthly. I lay 6-5
that some of you young guys don't even know who I'm talking about!

I'm a big believer that current condition is the number one factor in
handicapping. A horse may have been a champ last year, six months ago,
but what has he been doing this last month? My question is this; how
do YOU measure this factor? Is it final time, running style,
improvement in finish position, whatever. I am very interested in ALL
opinions.

Thanks
Clark

10 Jul 2004 08:42:44
Re: current condition

mclark1946@msn.com (Clark) wrote in message news:<2cfd9d89.0407091141.461c1f0c@posting.google.com >...
> Hi folks,
> I've been reading some of your posts and I would like to hear some of
> your opinions. I've been away from the game for many years, but
> suddenly I got the itch again. I was a big fan of Ray Taulbot and
> American Turf Monthly. I lay 6-5
> that some of you young guys don't even know who I'm talking about!
>
> I'm a big believer that current condition is the number one factor in
> handicapping. A horse may have been a champ last year, six months ago,
> but what has he been doing this last month? My question is this; how
> do YOU measure this factor? Is it final time, running style,
> improvement in finish position, whatever. I am very interested in ALL
> opinions.
>
> Thanks
> Clark

Clark-
Ray Taulbot comes up with quite a few good methods to find winners. I
kind of find him quite conservative with his articles. You may have to
wait a couple of months to find plays. I guess that's why he has so
many methods so he can use one of them every day. Current condition is
great but it means nothing if the connections are not out to win. I
heard Nick Zito say this in person "My horse didn't win today, but my
3 year olds don't need to win in March". One would think that it might
be difficult to tell when zito's horses are in to win. I can tell when
the moneys on the line his horses will run (i.e. belmont day, kentucky
derby/oaks day). In a ny bred n1x race let the buyer beware. Once
again my whole message is those d*** humans tend to foul up horses.

MM

11 Jul 2004 11:59:34
Clark
Re: current condition

im_hammy2@yahoo.com wrote in message news:<e07432c0.0407100742.746fc54f@posting.google.com >...
> mclark1946@msn.com (Clark) wrote in message news:<2cfd9d89.0407091141.461c1f0c@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi folks,
> > I've been reading some of your posts and I would like to hear some of
> > your opinions. I've been away from the game for many years, but
> > suddenly I got the itch again. I was a big fan of Ray Taulbot and
> > American Turf Monthly. I lay 6-5
> > that some of you young guys don't even know who I'm talking about!
> >
> > I'm a big believer that current condition is the number one factor in
> > handicapping. A horse may have been a champ last year, six months ago,
> > but what has he been doing this last month? My question is this; how
> > do YOU measure this factor? Is it final time, running style,
> > improvement in finish position, whatever. I am very interested in ALL
> > opinions.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Clark
>

> Clark-
> Ray Taulbot comes up with quite a few good methods to find winners. I
> kind of find him quite conservative with his articles. You may have to
> wait a couple of months to find plays. I guess that's why he has so
> many methods so he can use one of them every day. Current condition is
> great but it means nothing if the connections are not out to win. I
> heard Nick Zito say this in person "My horse didn't win today, but my
> 3 year olds don't need to win in March". One would think that it might
> be difficult to tell when zito's horses are in to win. I can tell when
> the moneys on the line his horses will run (i.e. belmont day, kentucky
> derby/oaks day). In a ny bred n1x race let the buyer beware. Once
> again my whole message is those d*** humans tend to foul up horses.
>
> MM

Hi MM,
I agree with you, if the trainer's not trying, you're throwing money
away.
I guess THAT could be the most important factor in handicapping!
Are you making a living at the track or is it just an intellectual
pursuit?
Back in the day, I eeked out a living playing the horses, but by the
time I figured out how much time I was consuming, I wasn't even making
minimum wage.
I do believe that money management has a great deal to do with
success, that and having reasonable expectations.

got to go for now,
hope to hear from you and others soon

Clark