06 Oct 2003 14:36:46
Neil
Treble.....err triple?

Is there anyone in the US that refers to the inner scoring ring as 'treble',
or does everyone say 'triple'?

My team mates laugh when I say treble.

Neil.
(NoVA Brit)

07 Oct 2003 04:51:49
Neil Sunderland
Re: Treble.....err triple?

>Is there anyone in the US that refers to the inner scoring ring as 'treble',
>or does everyone say 'triple'?

Treble [noun] that which is triple or threefold; three times as much;
the highest part, soprano, now especially applied to boys' voices
(music); a treble singer, voice, instrument, string, sound, etc;
high-frequency sound as output from an amplifier, etc; the narrow
inner ring on a dartboard, or a hit on this; a bet involving three
horse-races, the stake and winnings from the first being bet on the
second, and those from the second on the third.

Triple [noun] a quantity three times as much; a thing (eg a star) that
is triple; a peal of bells interchanging in three sets of two; a
betting system requiring that the horses which finish first, second
and third in a race are selected in correct order.

>My team mates laugh when I say treble.

Why? Can't they hit it?

Neil Sunderland
--
<http://www.brauntondarts.freeuk.comcolor=#0000FF> >

07 Oct 2003 04:09:00
ZJ Driver
Re: Treble.....err triple?

Treble, triple, as long as they're not tribbles it's all cool...

-Fernando

"Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Is there anyone in the US that refers to the inner scoring ring as
'treble',
> or does everyone say 'triple'?
>
> My team mates laugh when I say treble.
>
> Neil.
> (NoVA Brit)

08 Oct 2003 01:05:52
Tae-chon
Re: Treble.....err triple?

TREBLE: Middle English, perhaps from Middle French, trio, from treble,
adjective.
1. Having to do with music / voice.
2. Something treble in construction, uses, amount, number, or value.

Looks like you just need to hang out with a more educated group of
individuals. As long as you don't call "a nine mark" a "White Horse" we
will have no problems.

"Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Is there anyone in the US that refers to the inner scoring ring as
'treble',
> or does everyone say 'triple'?
>
> My team mates laugh when I say treble.
>
> Neil.
> (NoVA Brit)

07 Oct 2003 19:47:57
Gazza
Re: Treble.....err triple?

I often have tribble finishing on a dibble :-)

Gary
www.3inabed.com

"ZJ Driver" <cm_fern@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Treble, triple, as long as they're not tribbles it's all cool...
>
> -Fernando
>
> "Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is there anyone in the US that refers to the inner scoring ring as
> 'treble',
> > or does everyone say 'triple'?
> >
> > My team mates laugh when I say treble.
> >
> > Neil.
> > (NoVA Brit)

07 Oct 2003 15:12:02
Neil
Re: Treble.....err triple?

"Tae-chon" <karlhart@kornet.net > wrote in message
> TREBLE: Middle English, perhaps from Middle French, trio, from treble,
> adjective.
> 1. Having to do with music / voice.
> 2. Something treble in construction, uses, amount, number, or value.
>
> Looks like you just need to hang out with a more educated group of
> individuals. As long as you don't call "a nine mark" a "White Horse" we
> will have no problems.

I'll remember that whenever I finally hit a 'nine mark'.

During a match a couple of weeks ago, whenever our opponents scored 26, they
marked it up with the letter 'C'. Anyone know the history behind that?

08 Oct 2003 01:23:59
Dirtbag
Re: Treble.....err triple?

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:12:02 -0400, "Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com >
wrote:

>During a match a couple of weeks ago, whenever our opponents scored 26, they
>marked it up with the letter 'C'. Anyone know the history behind that?

Probably as an abbreviation for chips, or F%(King Chips. As legend
would have it, the price for fries in merry old England was 26 pence.
Hence, chips.

Dirtbag.....
I hate this game, I hate this game, --GOOD SHOT---, I love this game.

08 Oct 2003 07:43:01
Gazza
Re: Treble.....err triple?

We used to call 26 "Bed and Breakfast" cos 26 was the going rate for a
night in a damp room followed by a greasy frie-up.

Gary
www.3inabed.com

He said, "nearest to bull shoots first." I said, "baa." He said "moo." I
said, "you're nearest you shoot first."

"Dirtbag" <ronrobe@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:12:02 -0400, "Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >During a match a couple of weeks ago, whenever our opponents scored 26,
they
> >marked it up with the letter 'C'. Anyone know the history behind that?
> >

> Probably as an abbreviation for chips, or F%(King Chips. As legend
> would have it, the price for fries in merry old England was 26 pence.
> Hence, chips.
>
> Dirtbag.....
> I hate this game, I hate this game, --GOOD SHOT---, I love this game.

08 Oct 2003 22:45:49
Neil Sunderland
Re: Treble.....err triple?

Gazza wrote:
>We used to call 26 "Bed and Breakfast" cos 26 was the going rate for a
>night in a damp room followed by a greasy frie-up.

It wasn't that much - ITYM 2s 6d.

Neil Sunderland
--
<http://www.brauntondarts.freeuk.comcolor=#0000FF> >

09 Oct 2003 17:11:04
Gazza
Re: Treble.....err triple?

I guess so - I was born after decimalisation :-) so I suppose I just assumed
they meant 26 quid.

Gary
www.3inabed.com

"Neil Sunderland" <neil_sunderland@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> >Dirtbag wrote:
> >> Probably as an abbreviation for chips, or F%(King Chips. As legend
> >> would have it, the price for fries in merry old England was 26 pence.
> >> Hence, chips.
> >>

> Gazza wrote:
> >We used to call 26 "Bed and Breakfast" cos 26 was the going rate for a
> >night in a damp room followed by a greasy frie-up.
>
> It wasn't that much - ITYM 2s 6d.
>
> Neil Sunderland
> --
> <http://www.brauntondarts.freeuk.com>

09 Oct 2003 13:58:36
Dopey
Re: Treble.....err triple?

In article <blv369$fqob7$1@ID-39395.news.uni-berlin.de >, Neil
<NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com > wrote:

> During a match a couple of weeks ago, whenever our opponents scored 26, they
> marked it up with the letter 'C'. Anyone know the history behind that?

Around here for a while we wrote up a big "N" for 26, after one of our
local shooters, Nathan, who hit it a lot, and was also at the time 26
years old.

Here's another lingo one: Hereabouts, when you're playing x01 and hit a
T20, T1, and T5, we call it a "holiday weekend". Anyone else do that?
(I guess, based on the idea that it's THREE nights in a B&B)

-Josh

10 Oct 2003 10:20:12
Tae-chon
Re: Treble.....err triple?

Re: "Holiday Weekend. - T20 T5 T1
The name makes it sound fun exciting. It should probably be called a
Holiday Weekend in Vegas since it's a big loser of a score.

T20 S5 S1 for 66 is referred to as Super Chips around here. That's as close
as we get to the Weekend in Vegas score.