28 Feb 2005 12:33:00
Neil
My Singles Stats to date

Hi all,

Kind of slow here over the last few days, so I thought I'd post how I'm
doing in my C level league this season.

I'm currently topping my team on 9:3 (75%), although I did get an easy draw
against our last week opponent's weakest player.

I've got back into enjoying x01 lately, although I'm currently in a slump
with the 20 so am tending to stick to the 19. I can't seem to stop throwing
across the board from right to left even though my forearm is vertical,
which is making me hit too many 1s and 5s. My doubling in and out is much
improved though this season, even though I regularly hit doubles during
Cricket.

I hope the rest of you league players are doing well.

Cheers.

01 Mar 2005 04:05:46
Tommo ?
Re: My Singles Stats to date

Neil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Kind of slow here over the last few days, so I thought I'd post how
I'm
> doing in my C level league this season.
>
> I'm currently topping my team on 9:3 (75%), although I did get an
easy draw
> against our last week opponent's weakest player.
>
> I've got back into enjoying x01 lately, although I'm currently in a
slump
> with the 20 so am tending to stick to the 19. I can't seem to stop
throwing
> across the board from right to left even though my forearm is
vertical,
> which is making me hit too many 1s and 5s. My doubling in and out is
much
> improved though this season, even though I regularly hit doubles
during
> Cricket.
>
> I hope the rest of you league players are doing well.
>
> Cheers.

I've just about completed my first season since a 15 year lay off, and
was fairly pleased to see my stats are 52% wins in the singles games in
the Derwentside & District (UK) pub league. So I'm winning more than I
lose, which is the only target I set myself for this first season.

I'll aim for higher next season, and I'm using Dartpro to measure the
improvements. I think your 75% is excellent and it would be a good
target for me to at least aim for. Why not, as only a handful of
opponents have been *significantly* better than me. Most of the games
were within reach.

I've still got a really annoying habit of getting 5 or treble 5 with
the first dart. I've moved a bit to the left and paid attention to
elbow and arm, but that hasn't really solved it yet.

01 Mar 2005 13:44:10
Neil
Re: My Singles Stats to date

"Tommo ?" <tommocubed@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> I've just about completed my first season since a 15 year lay off, and
> was fairly pleased to see my stats are 52% wins in the singles games in
> the Derwentside & District (UK) pub league. So I'm winning more than I
> lose, which is the only target I set myself for this first season.
>
> I'll aim for higher next season, and I'm using Dartpro to measure the
> improvements. I think your 75% is excellent and it would be a good
> target for me to at least aim for. Why not, as only a handful of
> opponents have been *significantly* better than me. Most of the games
> were within reach.

It's still early in the season, and while I hope to keep my percentage way
above 50%, I just checked my stats from last season and note that I finished
on 26:22 or 54%. Good luck with your singles stats. Unfortunately we don't
track doubles figures as I tend to shoot a lot better when I have a team
mate giving me support.

01 Mar 2005 22:08:44
Josh Hayes
Re: My Singles Stats to date

"Tommo ?" <tommocubed@hotmail.com > wrote in

Actually, I wanted to talk to Neil for a sec:

> Neil wrote:
>> I've got back into enjoying x01 lately, although I'm currently in a
> slump
>> with the 20 so am tending to stick to the 19. I can't seem to stop
> throwing
>> across the board from right to left even though my forearm is
> vertical,
>> which is making me hit too many 1s and 5s.

Neil, I too have that problem occasionally and for me it's always
because I'm short-arming the throw, not following through cleanly. This,
for me, usually results from throwing too quickly, and I tend to get
sort of herky-jerky when that happens. Think smooth, well-paced throws,
and the problem may clear up.

-JAH

02 Mar 2005 09:57:17
Neil
Re: My Singles Stats to date

"Josh Hayes" <joshno@spamblarg.net > wrote in message
> "Tommo ?" <tommocubed@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> Actually, I wanted to talk to Neil for a sec:
>
> > Neil wrote:
> >> I've got back into enjoying x01 lately, although I'm currently in a
> > slump
> >> with the 20 so am tending to stick to the 19. I can't seem to stop
> > throwing
> >> across the board from right to left even though my forearm is
> > vertical,
> >> which is making me hit too many 1s and 5s.
>
> Neil, I too have that problem occasionally and for me it's always
> because I'm short-arming the throw, not following through cleanly. This,
> for me, usually results from throwing too quickly, and I tend to get
> sort of herky-jerky when that happens. Think smooth, well-paced throws,
> and the problem may clear up.
>
> -JAH

Thanks for the advice Josh. It's amazing how technical the act of throwing
a dart into a board from 7-odd feet can be! I was actually thinking
recently about how golfers can get a device (strap?) that helps them with
their swing, and whether something similar might exist to train your arm and
wrist into an optimal dart throwing position.

I'm happy with the speed at which I throw, but admit the temptation to rush
the 3rd dart especially when the first 2 were on target is strong. My main
concern with my technique -- apart from throwing across the board which I
think is down to my arm and wrist position -- is still (mentioned this here
last year) catching the flight on my chin. Sometimes this works to my
advantage and I do a "chin-slop" as you might call it, other times I don't
even notice, but of course there are times where it just puts me right off
my game as the dart goes astray. I've tried lifting my head, tilting the
dart so the flight is lower than the point, turning my head slightly,
shorter shafts, and oval flights, but none of these feel comfortable enough
over long periods or make any difference. I throw with the vertical plane
of my forearm in direct line with my right eye, as opposed to from the
outside, across, which just spoils my aim even more.

Anyway, I'm working on all of the above, and growing in confidence every
day. Without confidence, I don't believe you can expect to be consistent in
your throwing.

BTW, I hit a personal high of 133 in my league night last night. I did drop
a single (first) leg in singles 301 where I just couldn't double-in, but
came back to take the 2nd and 3rd legs. In doubles 401 my partner and I
swept easily, but in doubles Cricket my partner and I also dropped a single
(2nd) leg. Our team did go on to a convincing win of 29:10 despite losing
the team game and the chance of making it 32:7.

My singles stats are now 11:4.

Cheers.

23 Mar 2005 10:50:12
Neil
Re: My Singles Stats to date

"Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> My singles stats are now 11:4.

Make that 11:10 after being drawn against -- and swept by -- the
opposition's two top shooters in Cork calls last night, despite hitting 4
bulls and a 6mk. Had I been on form I would have won a couple of legs, but
I was having somewhat of an "off" night.

In 401 my opponent required D16, when I came to the oche needing 70. I
should have shot S20, S18, D16; but I got excited and shot S20, followed by
SBull after going for the DBull for the win. My opponent shot the D16 of
course.

In the team game I also had a shot at 120 out. I hit the T20 with my first
dart, S20 with the second, and despite making sure I didn't rush it, still
managed to stick the S5. Ugh.

Oh well, only one more match next week, then a bye week, a make-up week (not
for us), play-off week (hopefully we will win the division for the 3rd
straight season so won't need to play-off), and then the championships.

27 Mar 2005 18:50:27
Tony Houghton
Re: My Singles Stats to date

what was wrong with t18 double 8 in the 1st game

> "Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

> > My singles stats are now 11:4.
> >

> Make that 11:10 after being drawn against -- and swept by -- the
> opposition's two top shooters in Cork calls last night, despite hitting 4
> bulls and a 6mk. Had I been on form I would have won a couple of legs,
but
> I was having somewhat of an "off" night.
>
> In 401 my opponent required D16, when I came to the oche needing 70. I
> should have shot S20, S18, D16; but I got excited and shot S20, followed
by
> SBull after going for the DBull for the win. My opponent shot the D16 of
> course.
>
> In the team game I also had a shot at 120 out. I hit the T20 with my
first
> dart, S20 with the second, and despite making sure I didn't rush it, still
> managed to stick the S5. Ugh.
>
> Oh well, only one more match next week, then a bye week, a make-up week
(not
> for us), play-off week (hopefully we will win the division for the 3rd
> straight season so won't need to play-off), and then the championships.

28 Mar 2005 09:07:12

"Tony Houghton" <toytown@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote in message
> what was wrong with t18 double 8 in the 1st game

Good point. No reason I chose the route I did other than inexperience I
suppose. Better to be left with two darts at the out if possible.

I really need to learn my outs and practice x01 a LOT more.

N.

30 Mar 2005 12:28:21

> Hi all,
>
> Kind of slow here over the last few days, so I thought I'd post how I'm
> doing in my C level league this season.

Final game of the season for my team last night saw us take a comfortable
win, with almost guarantee of taking the division for the 3rd straight
season.

I'm still not 100% happy with my form, although did manage to take the 1st
and 3rd legs in my singles Corkcalls (all Cricket legs), against their top
shooter.

That leaves me on 13:11 in singles for the season which is not as good as I
hoped, but still means I won more than I lost.

Little in the way of highlights, other than the high score in the team game
(a pathetic 90), and a 114 (shanghai) when shooting 19s in doubles 401.

Provided the numbers work out as calculated, the next time we play will be
in the championships at the end of April. We made the quarters last season,
the semis the season before, so looking to make it to the final this season.

31 Mar 2005 18:26:32
Tony Houghton
Re: My Singles Stats to date

we only play 501 & 301 on a friday where i come from
301 being very popular aswell, that being in st.helens
In widnes they play 501 & round the board

> "Neil" <NOSPAMnbrad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Kind of slow here over the last few days, so I thought I'd post how I'm
> > doing in my C level league this season.
> >

> Final game of the season for my team last night saw us take a comfortable
> win, with almost guarantee of taking the division for the 3rd straight
> season.
>
> I'm still not 100% happy with my form, although did manage to take the 1st
> and 3rd legs in my singles Corkcalls (all Cricket legs), against their top
> shooter.
>
> That leaves me on 13:11 in singles for the season which is not as good as
> hoped, but still means I won more than I lost.
>
> Little in the way of highlights, other than the high score in the team
game
> (a pathetic 90), and a 114 (shanghai) when shooting 19s in doubles 401.
>
> Provided the numbers work out as calculated, the next time we play will be
> in the championships at the end of April. We made the quarters last
season,
> the semis the season before, so looking to make it to the final this
season.

05 Apr 2005 09:56:17
robert SHADBOLT
Re: My Singles Stats to date

In my wed team in the waveney vally norfolk league I had a great season
dropping just 6 legs and 2 games in 501 bo3 format 11:2 my stats ended up
with a 84.62 win %
with 18 101-119 scores 2 120-139 6 140-160 and 2 180's.
afraid my wednesday form never carried to the friday league where i only
managed to get into the team for 4 games and ended with 2-2.
roll on the summer league.

Rob