25 Oct 2003 03:05:27
Draebyerg
Hanging a dart board

Thanks much for all the great responses to my last post (Bragging rights
earned.) Now I have another question.

I got a great deal on a practically new board (Used once in the Windy
City Open, sold for half price at the league's office.)

The problem I'm having is, what to use for the backstop (not sure what
the proper term is, but I'm referring to the surface that the board's
mounted to, that catches those REALLY bad shots.)

I don't want to mount it right to the wall since the gypsum is so hard
on the points. I was going to use a couple of layers of drop ceiling
panel, until someone pointed out that these are partially composed of
the same abrasive. I'm not too sure about plywood, seems to me to be a
bit too hard. I've also considered getting a sheet of Celotex (the sheet
styrofoam used in sheathing buildings), but I'd hate to get a whole
sheet if 75% if it is going to be wasted.

Any suggestions on what to use, or are steel tips sturdy enough to stand
up to drywall?

Thanks again from this rookie.

25 Oct 2003 13:21:15
RODNEY
Re: Hanging a dart board

They will stand up to concrete.

25 Oct 2003 15:37:59
Neil
Re: Hanging a dart board

"Draebyerg" <NoMailGetsThrough@Earthlink.com > wrote in message
> Thanks much for all the great responses to my last post (Bragging rights
> earned.) Now I have another question.
>
> I got a great deal on a practically new board (Used once in the Windy
> City Open, sold for half price at the league's office.)
>
> The problem I'm having is, what to use for the backstop (not sure what
> the proper term is, but I'm referring to the surface that the board's
> mounted to, that catches those REALLY bad shots.)
>
> I don't want to mount it right to the wall since the gypsum is so hard
> on the points. I was going to use a couple of layers of drop ceiling
> panel, until someone pointed out that these are partially composed of
> the same abrasive. I'm not too sure about plywood, seems to me to be a
> bit too hard. I've also considered getting a sheet of Celotex (the sheet
> styrofoam used in sheathing buildings), but I'd hate to get a whole
> sheet if 75% if it is going to be wasted.
>
> Any suggestions on what to use, or are steel tips sturdy enough to stand
> up to drywall?
>
> Thanks again from this rookie.

I bought several packs of cork board tiles from Staples, as I couldn't find
a cabinet I really liked when I bought my board. I use the tiles 2 thick,
and cut a hole through the center tile so that the mounting bracket sits
just above the level of the tiles, and the dart board is nice and snug
against the tile once you adjust the screw.

Hope that explanation is good enough.

Cheers,

Neil.

26 Oct 2003 02:21:39
Draebyerg
Re: Hanging a dart board

Neil wrote:

> "Draebyerg" <NoMailGetsThrough@Earthlink.com> wrote in message
>
> > Any suggestions on what to use, or are steel tips sturdy enough to stand
> > up to drywall?
> >

> I bought several packs of cork board tiles from Staples, as I couldn't find
> a cabinet I really liked when I bought my board. I use the tiles 2 thick,
> and cut a hole through the center tile so that the mounting bracket sits
> just above the level of the tiles, and the dart board is nice and snug
> against the tile once you adjust the screw.
>
> Hope that explanation is good enough.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil.

Just fine, thanks. Actually, someone down the block just bought a new
giant TV, and thoughtfully left the box and packing intact in the alley.
(Around here, that's called putting out a "Rob us" sign) Picked out some
nice big pieces of styrofoam to cut a couple of 24" squares from,
covered them with burlap and now have the exact same setup (minus the
beer logos) as the bar that my team calls home .

Now I just have to get a score board, some white grease pencils and a
beer tap.

26 Oct 2003 00:59:01

> Now I just have to get a score board, some white grease pencils and a
> beer tap.

I play regularly in 3 different bars, and one uses those pencils (needs a
damp cloth to remove), the other uses chalk, and the third uses dry wipe
markers.

I actually prefer the dry wipe markers because they're easy to clean, don't
break when you press hard, and not so messy as long as you use the cloth.

I heard a story in the UK where whoever won the 'cork', would mark scores.
This pub used chalk, and one player hated getting it on their fingers as it
upset their game, so they would deliberately lose the cork knowing they
would play better not having chalk on their fingers.

Not sure why each player didn't mark their own score though.

Anyway, I throw right handed, but write left handed so it makes no
difference to me.

What dart board do you have btw? I have a Blade II, and love it!

Neil.

25 Oct 2003 23:40:06
MD
Re: Hanging a dart board

I just bought a foam ring for my dartboard. Fits around it and it is square
it will catch the majority of your missed shots unless you are real bad :-)
It was only 10 bucks.

"Draebyerg" <NoMailGetsThrough@Earthlink.com > wrote in message
> Thanks much for all the great responses to my last post (Bragging rights
> earned.) Now I have another question.
>
> I got a great deal on a practically new board (Used once in the Windy
> City Open, sold for half price at the league's office.)
>
> The problem I'm having is, what to use for the backstop (not sure what
> the proper term is, but I'm referring to the surface that the board's
> mounted to, that catches those REALLY bad shots.)
>
> I don't want to mount it right to the wall since the gypsum is so hard
> on the points. I was going to use a couple of layers of drop ceiling
> panel, until someone pointed out that these are partially composed of
> the same abrasive. I'm not too sure about plywood, seems to me to be a
> bit too hard. I've also considered getting a sheet of Celotex (the sheet
> styrofoam used in sheathing buildings), but I'd hate to get a whole
> sheet if 75% if it is going to be wasted.
>
> Any suggestions on what to use, or are steel tips sturdy enough to stand
> up to drywall?
>
> Thanks again from this rookie.

27 Oct 2003 04:49:51
Draebyerg
Re: Hanging a dart board

Neil wrote:

> What dart board do you have btw? I have a Blade II, and love it!
>
> Neil.

It's a Winmau Pro SFB, Diamond edition. The box says "The only official
tournament boards of the British Darts Org." I like it because the wires
are wedge shaped, rather than the usual round ones. I rarely have a
bounce out with it.

27 Oct 2003 04:53:32
Draebyerg
Re: Hanging a dart board

MD wrote:

> I just bought a foam ring for my dartboard. Fits around it and it is square
> it will catch the majority of your missed shots unless you are real bad :-)
> It was only 10 bucks.

Never heard of that one. Sounds like a real nifty gizmo.

New sub-hobby: collecting flights.

27 Oct 2003 05:26:30
Sven Silow
Re: Hanging a dart board

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 04:49:51 GMT, Draebyerg
<NoMailGetsThrough@Earthlink.com > wrote:

>Neil wrote:
>>
>> What dart board do you have btw? I have a Blade II, and love it!
>>
>> Neil.
>
>It's a Winmau Pro SFB, Diamond edition. The box says "The only official
>tournament boards of the British Darts Org." I like it because the wires
>are wedge shaped, rather than the usual round ones. I rarely have a
>bounce out with it.

Going out checking boards...

Coming back...

Most of our boards (all of the boards on this side - I don't want to
go to the side where only the C-teams go...[and the D-teams that we
don't even admit that we have]) says 'Winmau PRO SFB' (and, honestly,
I've no idea about why they write a thing like *that* on a dart board)

My 0.20

Sven

27 Oct 2003 16:32:43
Draebyerg
Re: Hanging a dart board

Sven Silow wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 04:49:51 GMT, Draebyerg
> <NoMailGetsThrough@Earthlink.com> wrote:
>
> >Neil wrote:
> >>
> >> What dart board do you have btw? I have a Blade II, and love it!
> >>
> >> Neil.
> >
> >It's a Winmau Pro SFB, Diamond edition. The box says "The only official
> >tournament boards of the British Darts Org." I like it because the wires
> >are wedge shaped, rather than the usual round ones. I rarely have a
> >bounce out with it.
>
> Going out checking boards...
>
> Coming back...
>
> Most of our boards (all of the boards on this side - I don't want to
> go to the side where only the C-teams go...[and the D-teams that we
> don't even admit that we have]) says 'Winmau PRO SFB' (and, honestly,
> I've no idea about why they write a thing like *that* on a dart board)
>
> My 0.20
>
> Sven

My mind may still be a bit cloudy from spending yesterday disassembling
an ancient elm tree, but huh? What are C and D teams, and what's so
unusual about a manufacturer putting their name and model designation on
their product?

27 Oct 2003 14:46:18

> Neil wrote:
> >
> > What dart board do you have btw? I have a Blade II, and love it!
> >
> > Neil.
>
> It's a Winmau Pro SFB, Diamond edition. The box says "The only official
> tournament boards of the British Darts Org." I like it because the wires
> are wedge shaped, rather than the usual round ones. I rarely have a
> bounce out with it.

Yes, the Winmau Blade II has the diamond wires, but it's also staple-free
which reduces the risk of bounceouts too. I use fixed-tips, so need all the
help I can get.

Neil.

12 Nov 2003 19:59:37
C D
Re: Hanging a dart board

yeah i've gone flight crazy too lately : )
been trying lots of different kinds and wanting to get my hands on some cool
flights.

as for the foam ring, yeah those are great. but what we have done is have
the wall carpeted, and under the carpet, around the board are 2 layers of
underpad (my dad is a carpet installer) and it works great. and it was all
free!
hehe

C D

> MD wrote:
> >
> > I just bought a foam ring for my dartboard. Fits around it and it is
square
> > it will catch the majority of your missed shots unless you are real bad
:-)
> > It was only 10 bucks.
> >

> Never heard of that one. Sounds like a real nifty gizmo.
>
> New sub-hobby: collecting flights.

13 Nov 2003 06:47:43
Marc
Re: Hanging a dart board

Anyone know where to get one of those foam rings in the uk ?