03 Feb 2005 23:45:08
Kosmo Threadbane
Dougnut dart surrounds

The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
was looking around for another one the next day, found one at
Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
leads directly to my question below, but there's more.

I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp >
$211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.

But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

04 Feb 2005 00:53:48
TR
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

Your best bet may be to contact A-Z Darts (1-877-602-3278). They are the US
distributor for Unicorn, and may be able to get you a good deal on the
unicorn version here:
http://www.unicorn-darts.com/catalogue/product.asp?id=221&departmentID=16

I also could not find the round rings in the US. Below are several similar
items.
http://www.a-zdarts.com/bkbd/bkbdmain.asp

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3266138&cat=78400&type=21&dept=4125&path=0%3A4125%3A4158%3A78400

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=764355&cp=711744.695550&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/Catalog.Product/productID/4044.cfm?CFID=4277319&CFTOKEN=64697661

"Kosmo Threadbane" <zeteticCXL@hq.eac > wrote in message

> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at
> Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>
> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>
> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

03 Feb 2005 20:23:03
Michelle
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

www.dart-stopbackboards.com has the round backboards for $119 and
shipping is listed as $21.95 FedEx ground. HTH

04 Feb 2005 13:12:03
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

"Michelle" <dawgmichelle@aol.com > wrote:

>www.dart-stopbackboards.com has the round backboards for $119 and
>shipping is listed as $21.95 FedEx ground. HTH

I guess my hope was that they would cost less, but both the board
AND the shipping is higher than getting one from the UK. Amazing.

Thanks for the link, though.

04 Feb 2005 13:15:49
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

Kosmo Threadbane <zeteticCXL@hq.eac > wrote:

>"Michelle" <dawgmichelle@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>www.dart-stopbackboards.com has the round backboards for $119 and
>>shipping is listed as $21.95 FedEx ground. HTH
>
>I guess my hope was that they would cost less, but both the board
>AND the shipping is higher than getting one from the UK. Amazing.
>
>Thanks for the link, though.

The surround DOES look nicer, though, and they are 6 inches larger in
diameter. So maybe they would be the thing for this one setup I'm
doing.

Thanks again! 8^)

04 Feb 2005 06:30:07
Zeeple
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

Hi, I hope you have considered making your own backboard. After
looking at all the options that is what I decided to do and I have
blogged a bit about it. The whole thing cost me about 47 dollars and
that included the floor mat to catch bounce outs. You can read through
the posts in the September Archive of my blog here:

http://zeeple.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_zeeple_archive.html

04 Feb 2005 14:58:06
Dax Mailloux
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

On 2005-02-03 18:45:08 -0500, Kosmo Threadbane <zeteticCXL@hq.eac > said:

> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at Phil
> Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>
> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>
> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

I'm also really interested in the Unicorn dart board surrond, can you
tell me if your one from Durro the matérial is like in foam like those
square one.
--
Dax
P.S. Sorry for my english I'm french canadian by the way.

05 Feb 2005 13:40:12
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

Dax Mailloux <daxx@videotron.ca > wrote:

>On 2005-02-03 18:45:08 -0500, Kosmo Threadbane <zeteticCXL@hq.eac> said:
>

>> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
>> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
>> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at Phil
>> Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
>> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
>> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
>> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>>
>> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
>> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
>> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>>
>> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
>> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?
>
>I'm also really interested in the Unicorn dart board surrond, can you
>tell me if your one from Durro the matérial is like in foam like those
>square one.

I haven't received it yet. Probably the beginning of next week, but
even then, I have no idea what the Unicorn surround is like, so I
can only describe what I get.

>--
>Dax
>P.S. Sorry for my english I'm french canadian by the way.

05 Feb 2005 16:18:19
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

"Zeeple" <zeeple@gmail.com > wrote:

>Hi, I hope you have considered making your own backboard. After
>looking at all the options that is what I decided to do and I have
>blogged a bit about it. The whole thing cost me about 47 dollars and
>that included the floor mat to catch bounce outs. You can read through
>the posts in the September Archive of my blog here:
>
>http://zeeple.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_zeeple_archive.html

Well, I have one that is pretty nice that I put together, but I was
looking at the doughnut thing as a "step up". They just seem like
the right sort of surround. That and seeing that the big tournaments
seem to be using them -- perhaps it's wrong, but I generally assume
the top of the heap uses top of the heap equipment. 8^)

I'm still thinking of popping for that nice 36" surround that Michelle
pointed out...

05 Feb 2005 16:54:20
Si
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

www.moordarts.co.uk seen this web site?
"Kosmo Threadbane" <zeteticCXL@hq.eac > wrote in message

> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at
> Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>
> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>
> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

05 Feb 2005 22:40:14
IgwanaRob
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

In an effort to amuse and confuse me, Kosmo Threadbane blurted out :

> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at
> Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>
> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>
> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

Here's a site that sells customized ones.

http://www.superdarts.resourcez.com/- of course it's not in the US, but
something cool non the less.

--
© ~~Iggy~~
(©)(©)

11 Feb 2005 00:49:13
John
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

http://www.a-zdarts.com
OK we are going to put these doughnut dart surrounds on the site for you
guys tonight! For the great price of 70.00 with FREE Yes Free shipping to
anyone in the USA..

John B
http://www.a-zdarts.com

"Kosmo Threadbane" <zeteticCXL@hq.eac > wrote in message

> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at
> Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>
> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>
> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

12 Feb 2005 00:45:23
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

"John" <shirts4u@twcny.rr.com > wrote:

>http://www.a-zdarts.com
>OK we are going to put these doughnut dart surrounds on the site for you
>guys tonight! For the great price of 70.00 with FREE Yes Free shipping to
>anyone in the USA..
>
>John B
>http://www.a-zdarts.com
>

>"Kosmo Threadbane" <zeteticCXL@hq.eac> wrote in message
>>
>> The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A Durro.
>> Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England. But I
>> was looking around for another one the next day, found one at
>> Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
>> I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
>> find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
>> leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
>>
>> I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
>> think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
>> $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
>>
>> But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
>> why can't you buy one of these things in the states?

Let's see -- $10 to make this thing, assuming they can make a lot
of them -- I payed US$102. I assume that 70.00 is Pounds Sterling.
$140 dollars, plus or minus depending on the day. I noticed that they
paid almost $60 dollars in postage to send this thing. What's with
that!? Cmon. For twice that I can send MYSELF with a SEAT and
FREE PEANUTS and COFFEE!! :^)

Michelle's link is by far the best I've seen. (Thanks!) It's
actually a bacboard with a soft surround built in. A *much*
better deal. It might actuall be worth US$119.95. And with the
wooden backboard, I can see $17 bucks to ship it. And at least on
the site it doesn't look quite so cheesy.

I know your heart's in the right place, though. Good on ya. :^)

11 Feb 2005 22:12:15
IgwanaRob
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

In an effort to amuse and confuse me, Kosmo Threadbane blurted out :

> "John" <shirts4u@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.a-zdarts.com
> > OK we are going to put these doughnut dart surrounds on the site
> > for you guys tonight! For the great price of 70.00 with FREE Yes
> > Free shipping to anyone in the USA..
> >
> > John B
> > http://www.a-zdarts.com
> >

> > "Kosmo Threadbane" <zeteticCXL@hq.eac> wrote in message
> > >
> > > The other day, I ordered one of those doughnut surrounds. A
> > > Durro. Cost me a $ton, including the $17 shipping from England.
> > > But I was looking around for another one the next day, found one
> > > at
> > > Phil Taylor's shop that looked pretty neat, a little cheaper, so
> > > I ordered that too. For some reason, Phil's enterprise couldn't
> > > find a way to ship it for less than $70!! So I cancelled. This
> > > leads directly to my question below, but there's more.
> > >
> > > I decide that what Phil needed was UPS! Surely, UPS can ship that
> > > think for something reasonable. I called them. UPS wanted <gasp>
> > > $211 dollars. WOWZA!! So I gave up.
> > >
> > > But my question is (and I've done some serious scouting on google)
> > > why can't you buy one of these things in the states?
>
> Let's see -- $10 to make this thing, assuming they can make a lot
> of them -- I payed US$102. I assume that 70.00 is Pounds Sterling.
> $140 dollars, plus or minus depending on the day. I noticed that they
> paid almost $60 dollars in postage to send this thing. What's with
> that!? Cmon. For twice that I can send MYSELF with a SEAT and
> FREE PEANUTS and COFFEE!! :^)
>
> Michelle's link is by far the best I've seen. (Thanks!) It's
> actually a bacboard with a soft surround built in. A *much*
> better deal. It might actuall be worth US$119.95. And with the
> wooden backboard, I can see $17 bucks to ship it. And at least on
> the site it doesn't look quite so cheesy.
>
> I know your heart's in the right place, though. Good on ya. :^)

A-Zdarts is a top-notch quality outfit based in the USA with some of the
best prices around (I just got new darts from them today in fact). I don't
think you're going to find a better price than 70 bucks for that Unicorn
piece, especially with no shipping and no sales tax (unless you live in
California, I assume). Michelle's link has backboards for twice that price
after factoring in shipping, and all it is is fabric covered foam (?) on a
piece of wood (nicely crafted and well designed indeed, but it is what it
is).

Either way, I think 70 bucks is still too much for a circular piece of foam
(maybe half that at the very most), but being that they are imported they
will be higher than they would be if they were based on this side of the
pond. The fact that John went out of his way to stock something not readily
available here is a great indicator about the shop's dedication to the
community, and makes me proud to spend quite a bit of money there (a couple
hundred bucks in the past few months).

--
© ~~Iggy~~
(©)(©)
------ooo--(__)--ooo------
~~Drop 'The Attitude' before e-mailing~~
www.igwanarob.com ~ www.cyberhelpdesk.net

12 Feb 2005 16:43:11
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

"IgwanaRob" <THEIgwanaRobATITUDE@myrealbox.com > wrote:

>In an effort to amuse and confuse me, Kosmo Threadbane blurted out :
>
>> "John" <shirts4u@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.a-zdarts.com
>> > OK we are going to put these doughnut dart surrounds on the site
>> > for you guys tonight! For the great price of 70.00 with FREE Yes
>> > Free shipping to anyone in the USA..
>> >
>> > John B
>> > http://www.a-zdarts.com
>> I know your heart's in the right place, though. Good on ya. :^)
>
>A-Zdarts is a top-notch quality outfit based in the USA with some of the

I didn't say they weren't.

>best prices around (I just got new darts from them today in fact). I don't
>think you're going to find a better price than 70 bucks for that Unicorn

I understood that to be 70 Pounds Sterling, ie, British Sterling, ie,
about $140 bucks. A price of $70 is comparatively cheap, since, as
I stated, I payed $102.

>piece, especially with no shipping and no sales tax (unless you live in
>California, I assume). Michelle's link has backboards for twice that price
>after factoring in shipping, and all it is is fabric covered foam (?) on a
>piece of wood (nicely crafted and well designed indeed, but it is what it
>is).

True, and looking at this Durro, that might actually be better. Hard
to know yet. It might be the same basic stuff as the Durro material
underneath the dart-stopbackboard product, with some sort of cloth over
it. I have no idea about any of that, but one thing I do know, they
look a whole lot nicer than this Durro thing. The Unicorn one that
I couldn't get shipped here from England without diamond-courier
prices (which, as it turns out, was almost the same as the Durro
shipping costs), did look nicer, and that's why I was ordering it.
If that's $70, I might buy one.

I would like to say that I don't like to frequent stores that put their
stuff up in Micromedia Flash crapola. For one thing, I'm running a UNIX
box, not a virus-infected, worm-prone Windows thing. I know, 90% of
the world has no problem with Flash Media, but there's no reason to
use it at all, really. Why cut out the other 10%? Just use normal
stuff, like perlTk or javascript. That way the website would
even portable if you decided to stop worrying about infestations and
spending all your time updating the anti-virus software, and shift to
a sensible Knoppix system. :^)

(Yeah, I can get a Linux plugin for it...yada yada yada...)

Anyhow, that's why I don't know if it's US$70 or &70 (my best try at
the BPounds sign 8^). So there you have it. I have NO EASY WAY TO
LOOK at www.a-zdarts.com, because they discriminate against Linux/Netscap
users. At least lazy ones. 8^)

>Either way, I think 70 bucks is still too much for a circular piece of foam

No argument here! 8^)

>(maybe half that at the very most), but being that they are imported they
>will be higher than they would be if they were based on this side of the
>pond. The fact that John went out of his way to stock something not readily
>available here is a great indicator about the shop's dedication to the
>community, and makes me proud to spend quite a bit of money there (a couple
>hundred bucks in the past few months).

Well, most of the community anyhow. Flashy Flash stuff locks out a few
players here and there.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't badmouthing anybody, honest.

12 Feb 2005 16:48:31
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Doughnut dart surrounds

John <shirts4u@twcny.rr.com > wrote:

>Iggy Thank you for the nice words about www.a-zdarts.com If you call us next
>week with your past order # we have a gift coupon waiting for you with your
>name on it :)

I hope you didn't take my remarks the wrong way. For one thing, I thought
you were a Brit offering to ship it here for a total cost of $140, which
would have been even MORE than I was going to have to pay to get it from
Phil Taylor Enterprises. I was apparently just confused. Maybe I'll
give you a call from work Monday, since I'm too busy to install the stuff
to look at your site right now.

It's really annoying that everybody's starting to use this Microsoft Flash
junk. It offers nothing over more browser-friendly GUI stuff that I
can see. I haven't really checked yet, but I'm sure there's a Linux
plugin for it. I guess I'm going to have to bend over for Bill Gates
again. 8^)

12 Feb 2005 22:11:30
Ricky Nickolson
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

http://www.a-zdarts.com/bkbd/bkbdmain.asp

Try that link Kosmo, it should work fine. Well, unless you're running Lynx,
then you couldn't see the pictures. maybe someone could do an ASCII
rendering if that's the case.... :-)

Ricky

"Kosmo Threadbane" <zeteticCXL@hq.eac > wrote in message
<blahblahblah-snipped >

13 Feb 2005 13:33:39
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

"Ricky Nickolson" <me@privacy.net > wrote:

>http://www.a-zdarts.com/bkbd/bkbdmain.asp
>
>Try that link Kosmo, it should work fine. Well, unless you're running Lynx,
>then you couldn't see the pictures. maybe someone could do an ASCII
>rendering if that's the case.... :-)
>
>Ricky

Works just fine, pictures and all! Thanks!

14 Feb 2005 19:45:17
IgwanaRob
Re: Dougnut dart surrounds

In an effort to amuse and confuse me, Kosmo Threadbane blurted out :

<snip >

> Well, most of the community anyhow. Flashy Flash stuff locks out a
> few players here and there.

I do agree - flash is an annoyance that I hope will someday disappear. There
are only a couple of sites that I will turn Flash on for, A-Z being one of
course <G >

> Don't get me wrong. I wasn't badmouthing anybody, honest.

Wasn't my intent to imply you were, just clarifying just in case. Sorry if I
came off confrontational.

--

© ~~Iggy~~
(©)(©)