30 Oct 2003 01:32:17
DangerScouse
Dartitis?

Can someone here give me an answer to a problem I am experiencing atm?

I used to be a pretty good darts player at one point in time, but now I
am unable to aim the darts where I want them to go. It's so bad now I'm
having trouble getting the darts in the board.

I've tried using different weights (I used to play with 16g and have
tried as much as 30g to alleviate the problem as the darts just were not
going where I wanted them to go).

I feel as though I have no strength in my arm to aim the darts correctly,
and they seem to go on their own flight path. If I try to throw the
darts with more force they miss the board completely (normally out of the
bottom of the board!).

I've tried searching the net but cannot find a definative answer to my
problem. Is it dartitis or not?

And how can it be overcome? The bits I've read on dartitis don't mention
anything about getting over the problem, apart from stating such a player
got over it. No details.

Help!

--
Lesley
ZXR400SP

Un-cork me to reply

30 Oct 2003 11:45:06
Tae-chon
Re: Dartitis?

No one has the definitive answer. There are two primary schools of thought.
1. Keep throwing and work through it. 2. Give it a rest.

"DangerScouse" <Lesley_cork@ukrm_cork.org > wrote in message
> Can someone here give me an answer to a problem I am experiencing atm?
>
> I used to be a pretty good darts player at one point in time, but now I
> am unable to aim the darts where I want them to go. It's so bad now I'm
> having trouble getting the darts in the board.
>
> I've tried using different weights (I used to play with 16g and have
> tried as much as 30g to alleviate the problem as the darts just were not
> going where I wanted them to go).
>
> I feel as though I have no strength in my arm to aim the darts correctly,
> and they seem to go on their own flight path. If I try to throw the
> darts with more force they miss the board completely (normally out of the
> bottom of the board!).
>
> I've tried searching the net but cannot find a definative answer to my
> problem. Is it dartitis or not?
>
> And how can it be overcome? The bits I've read on dartitis don't mention
> anything about getting over the problem, apart from stating such a player
> got over it. No details.
>
> Help!
>
> --
> Lesley
> ZXR400SP
>
> Un-cork me to reply

30 Oct 2003 01:04:12
SethB
Re: Dartitis?

Barring the onset of a real medical problem, it's classic Common
Dartitis, whatever dartitis is.

There is another phenomena where if you repeat a common one-sylable word
(e.g. "road") over and over again, very rapidly, long enough, the word
becomes meaningless and eventually you have trouble saying it correctly.
Try it - it works with most folks. I don't know the name of this thing,
or how exactly how it works - any physiologists in the house?

(Guess: Perhaps the tongue, which has refined muscle memory, links to
several different parts of the brain which coordinate to be able to say
the word and visualize what it means at the same time - this
coordination gets screwed up.)

To get your 'word' back again, stop saying it, wait awhile, and don't
think about it. It comes back. Every time.

'Dartitis' may be an 'arm muscle memory' analog to this -- repetitive
motion, in almost the same exact pattern, over and over and over again.
Your arm muscle starts to get gibberish from the motor part of your
brain. So --- stop playing darts at all for awhile - including practice,
and don't worry about it. In the meantime, teach your arm to do
SOMETHING ELSE - like juggling tennis balls or something else that
requires a high level of hand-eye coordination, concentration AND uses a
DIFFERENT motion than throwing darts. It resets the ticker. You'll get
your dart throw back; in fact you may find it improved from what it was.
Worst thing to do is worry about it, most especially while you're trying
to throw.

Just a thought. Cheers.

SethB

30 Oct 2003 17:45:32
DangerScouse
Re: Dartitis?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:04:12 -0500, SethB cried forth...
> Barring the onset of a real medical problem, it's classic Common
> Dartitis, whatever dartitis is.

<snip >

> 'Dartitis' may be an 'arm muscle memory' analog to this -- repetitive
> motion, in almost the same exact pattern, over and over and over again.
> Your arm muscle starts to get gibberish from the motor part of your
> brain. So --- stop playing darts at all for awhile - including practice,
> and don't worry about it. In the meantime, teach your arm to do
> SOMETHING ELSE - like juggling tennis balls or something else that
> requires a high level of hand-eye coordination, concentration AND uses a
> DIFFERENT motion than throwing darts. It resets the ticker. You'll get
> your dart throw back; in fact you may find it improved from what it was.
> Worst thing to do is worry about it, most especially while you're trying
> to throw.

Hmm, it'll be difficult not to play though as the team seems to be
running a bit lean atm and we are only just reaching the required numbers
to play each week. Plus we have a Treas/Secs game at the end too and I'm
the Treasurer.

I like the idea of the juggling bit though, I'll give it a try. :o)

> Just a thought. Cheers.

Thank you.

--
Lesley

Un-cork me to reply

30 Oct 2003 21:51:56
SethB
Re: Dartitis?

> I like the idea of the juggling bit though, I'll give it a try. :o)

I recall a major darter juggled, and I think he mentioned that a few
others he knew did that or something like that. May have been John Lowe,
a while back. Gave no specific reason for doing this, except to improve
hand-eye coordination and he thought it definetly helped his darts. I
thought it helped my darts, 'cause they got better, whatever the reason,
even though I am nowhere near that level of play. Plus its kind of fun
and takes your mind off everything else. But I haven't had significant
'dartitis' since, either.

Thought you might be in the middle of a darts season. Even if you try
laying off a day or two or three, in between match play, you might find
it helps - just practice a little before you play a match. But your play
will come back in time, never fear. Frustrating though, isn't it? Best
of luck, anyway. Cheers.

SethB