14 Feb 2005 15:56:41
John G
Custom Woodwork for Darters

It's hard to find anything "truly" customized for your dart room. After
looking around for such items I decided I'd use my experience as a
woodworker and build my own. Stop by my site below and check out what I
have done. I would be very interested in creating something for you with
your own custom logo, graphic or lettering.
--
For Custom Cabinets, Backboards and Signs for Darters visit
http://www.geocities.com/johngowrie

15 Feb 2005 00:31:40
IgwanaRob
Re: Custom Woodwork for Darters

In an effort to amuse and confuse me, John G blurted out :

> It's hard to find anything "truly" customized for your dart room.
> After looking around for such items I decided I'd use my experience
> as a woodworker and build my own. Stop by my site below and check out
> what I have done. I would be very interested in creating something
> for you with your own custom logo, graphic or lettering.

I was looking at the site this afternoon (after readin the messages about
the upcoming version of CorkIt!).

That's some fine work you do - damn fine!

--

~~Iggy~~
()()

15 Feb 2005 16:12:30
John G
Re: Custom Woodwork for Darters

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words and taking a look at my work. I was also
considering customizing existing cabinets for people that already have
one they like , but want to add something personal to the look.

If you didn't read the post, I put up all the emails that have come to
me from the designer of CorkIt! . They are over at dartplayer.net .

Cheers!
John

IgwanaRob wrote:
> In an effort to amuse and confuse me, John G blurted out :
>

>>It's hard to find anything "truly" customized for your dart room.
>>After looking around for such items I decided I'd use my experience
>>as a woodworker and build my own. Stop by my site below and check out
>>what I have done. I would be very interested in creating something
>>for you with your own custom logo, graphic or lettering.
>

> I was looking at the site this afternoon (after readin the messages about
> the upcoming version of CorkIt!).
>
> That's some fine work you do - damn fine!

--
For Custom Cabinets, Backboards and Signs for Darters visit
http://www.geocities.com/johngowrie

16 Feb 2005 00:10:13
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Well done Andy Fordham

Colin Harris <colin@REMOVEMEvauxhall-senator.com > wrote:

>Runner up at the Masters of Darts, and he's lost 10lb over the last
>two weeks.
>
>Bet he's chuffed to bits!

Far out! (Love the word "chuffed".) He's down to a trim 320 or
so, then. Gotta wonder though. I read that he downed two shots
of brandy and 15 bottles of beer before every match. Epic stuff.
Good dart throwers are a dime a dozen, but Fordham was a man
of real stature in the dart community. "Better a short and glorious
life than a long, inglorious one." Or something to that effect.

I knew a guy in Dallas once, about 1980, who was a chef. He was
short, maybe 5'4" or so, but he rolled around at 300+. Solid.
He told me once that he got down to 150, but something strange
happened. As near as I can recall, his words were (confided over
a beer at a dart bar, which makes it all the more appropriate --
he was a dart thrower, and a good one!), "At 150, I'm just
another short nobody. At 300, I'm somebody."

I guess there's no need to keep doing glorious stuff forever,
though, now is there? Once a hero, always a hero! It would
really be cool if he took up yoga now, sveldted down to lithe 180,
REALLY serened out and limbered up and floated past Phil Taylor and
Barneveldt.

22 Feb 2005 02:29:11
Snor
Re: Well done Andy Fordham

In article <FbwQd.13288$vK5.513@twister.nyroc.rr.com >, zeteticCXL@hq.eac
says...
> Far out! (Love the word "chuffed".) He's down to a trim 320 or
> so, then. Gotta wonder though. I read that he downed two shots
> of brandy and 15 bottles of beer before every match. Epic stuff.

After the match last year, Andy got some interesting press coverage.

One was a photo of the **25** bottles of his beer of choice (Holsten
Pils) *plus the 2 double brandies* he drinks with them before a match.
It's impressive, especially when you consider Holstein Pils is potent
stuff. I read he occasionally eats food.

When you do the calculation of his weight from "30 stone", it translates
to 420 lbs, not 320 (a 'stone' = 14lbs). This figure was published in
both BBC and The Sun articles in Jan 2004 (also the alcohol consumption).
Hopefully he's lost the hundred pounds since then, but he doesn't look
it.

**420 LBS**

He looks tall on stage, compared to other guys playing, but I've never
seen his height mentioned. Looks like 6'5" or thereabouts; plus-minus.
Anybody have a known figure?

The thickness of his wrists is amazing; I have never seen anything like
them. He may have some world records in some other things other than
darts ...

British weight system for those not familiar:
16 drams = 1 ounce
16 ounces = 1 pound
7 pounds = 1 clove
14 pounds = 1 stone
28 pounds = 1 tod
112 pounds = 1 hundredweight
364 pounds = 1 sack <== Andy *was* "1-sack 4-stone"
2240 pounds = 1 ton or
2 stones = 1 quarter 15 Quarters (like a beef hind-quarter)
4 quarters = 1 hundredweight
20 hundredweight = 1 ton
There was a 'Butchers stone' of 8lb until the end of 1939

And my darts weigh 21 scruples. So I play with lots of scruples ...

22 Feb 2005 13:18:25
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Well done Andy Fordham

Snor <SN9987@NoPlace.net > wrote:

>In article <FbwQd.13288$vK5.513@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, zeteticCXL@hq.eac
>says...
>> Far out! (Love the word "chuffed".) He's down to a trim 320 or
>> so, then. Gotta wonder though. I read that he downed two shots
>> of brandy and 15 bottles of beer before every match. Epic stuff.
>
>After the match last year, Andy got some interesting press coverage.
>
>One was a photo of the **25** bottles of his beer of choice (Holsten
>Pils) *plus the 2 double brandies* he drinks with them before a match.
>It's impressive, especially when you consider Holstein Pils is potent
>stuff. I read he occasionally eats food.

Even grander than I had read! Thanks for the correction.

>When you do the calculation of his weight from "30 stone", it translates
>to 420 lbs, not 320 (a 'stone' = 14lbs). This figure was published in
>both BBC and The Sun articles in Jan 2004 (also the alcohol consumption).
>Hopefully he's lost the hundred pounds since then, but he doesn't look
>it.

I had misread 10lb as 101 lbs. At his weight, +-10 lbs could be an
hourly variation.

> **420 LBS**

Indeed. I knew he started there -- and apparently stays there.

>He looks tall on stage, compared to other guys playing, but I've never
>seen his height mentioned. Looks like 6'5" or thereabouts; plus-minus.
>Anybody have a known figure?

I had wondered about that, too. I've only seen pictures of him in a dart
shirt throwing or just a mug shot, so it's been impossible to get a
sense of his height.

>The thickness of his wrists is amazing; I have never seen anything like
>them. He may have some world records in some other things other than
>darts ...

One would think he'd throw about a 40 ounce dart, but I've heard they're
only 21 grams.

>British weight system for those not familiar:
>16 drams = 1 ounce
>16 ounces = 1 pound
>7 pounds = 1 clove
>14 pounds = 1 stone
>28 pounds = 1 tod
>112 pounds = 1 hundredweight
>364 pounds = 1 sack <== Andy *was* "1-sack 4-stone"
>2240 pounds = 1 ton or
>2 stones = 1 quarter 15 Quarters (like a beef hind-quarter)
>4 quarters = 1 hundredweight
>20 hundredweight = 1 ton
>There was a 'Butchers stone' of 8lb until the end of 1939
>
>And my darts weigh 21 scruples. So I play with lots of scruples ...

So Forhdam weight 1 1/4 sacks. :^) Thanks for the info!

22 Feb 2005 18:45:00
Colin Harris
Re: Well done Andy Fordham

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:29:11 -0500, Snor <SN9987@NoPlace.net > wrote:

>He looks tall on stage, compared to other guys playing, but I've never
>seen his height mentioned. Looks like 6'5" or thereabouts; plus-minus.
>Anybody have a known figure?

He's 6 foot exactly.

04 Mar 2005 14:03:38
Snor
Re: Well done Andy Fordham

In article <qcvm1195e2ao23g2o13fplkr0ft4hqhr2c@4ax.com >,
colin@REMOVEMEvauxhall-senator.com says...
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:29:11 -0500, Snor <SN9987@NoPlace.net> wrote:
>

> >He looks tall on stage, compared to other guys playing, but I've never
> >seen his height mentioned. Looks like 6'5" or thereabouts; plus-minus.
> >Anybody have a known figure?
>
> He's 6 foot exactly.

Thanks! Sorry for the lag; been gone.

I was hoping he was taller, I suppose, because his enormous weight would
seem a _little_ less of a health threat. Has to be an enormous strain
on his heart and liver.

05 Mar 2005 17:03:12
Kosmo Threadbane
Re: Well done Andy Fordham

Snor <SN9987@NoPlace.net > wrote:

>In article <qcvm1195e2ao23g2o13fplkr0ft4hqhr2c@4ax.com>,
>colin@REMOVEMEvauxhall-senator.com says...
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:29:11 -0500, Snor <SN9987@NoPlace.net> wrote:
>>

>> >He looks tall on stage, compared to other guys playing, but I've never
>> >seen his height mentioned. Looks like 6'5" or thereabouts; plus-minus.
>> >Anybody have a known figure?
>>
>> He's 6 foot exactly.
>
>Thanks! Sorry for the lag; been gone.
>
>I was hoping he was taller, I suppose, because his enormous weight would
>seem a _little_ less of a health threat. Has to be an enormous strain
>on his heart and liver.

I taped the Desert Classic (played last summer) the other night.
The talk on the group about the health of Andy Fordham should switch
to the health of Phil Taylor, perhaps. He looked bad. And it wasn't
the flu or jet lag, it was the hair and the gut. Hints for
Phil Taylor: 1) dyeing your hair black and trying to coax approximately
100 strands into a punk rock hairdo to escape your advancing years is not
the answer -- shave it; 2) that particular brand of paunch is a heart
attack on the way -- fifteen minutes of yoga a day for a few months
will get rid of it.

As to the Desert Classic broadcast, this was one of the most unpleasant
announcing efforts in the history of sports.

First, Sam Waddell (I think that's his name) attempting to
scream his patented ONEHUNDREDANDEEIIGGHHTTY!! made my throat hurt.
He sounds as if he might have throat cancer or something. It was a
horrific and painful sound. As a two-time cancer victim myself,
I really don't wish that on him, but he should not have been doing
the announcing, no matter what his status in the dart world may be.

Second, the "color" guy has evidently not be to Vegas before, so was
unaware that the pill the truck driver gave him to get over his jet lag
would make him REALLY READY to add some excitement to the strategy
of 501. There's something odd about getting THAT pumped about
T19 versus T15. Add to that one of those most off-putting accents
I've heard since hearing Gerry Addamms of the IRA discussing the
virtues of bombing children in Belfast and it left me but one
choice -- mute button activated.

When they first started throwing, I said to myself, "Let me in!" Then
they started throwing 180s and taking out 100+ and I came back to
reality. (Although I did have a nice 19 T19 DB out last night! 8^)