21 Oct 2003 09:20:42
Greg Gent
Dead Ball

Last night in a league the following occurred:

Bowler was in mid-approach.
Lane machine shut down (lights went off).
Bowler threw an 8-split.
Machines got turned back on.
Bowler picks up one of remaining pins.

Is this scenario calssified as a dead ball.

Rule 8e refers to "interferrence"

Rule 8.
<snip >
A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
<snip >
e. A player is interferred with by the pinsetter, another player, <snip >

Any opinions?

Greg

21 Oct 2003 12:21:52
Darby
Re: Dead Ball

I'd think that it was a legal delivery. If the lights went off in the whole
house, then it'd be interference. Let me know if it IS because once in a
while our computers shut off the lane as the last man is up in the tenth.
I've had them blink off mid-approach and come back on as the ball gets
there. It has not been some of my best shots!
Dar

"Greg Gent" <gwg300@cox.net > wrote
> Last night in a league the following occurred:
>
> Bowler was in mid-approach.
> Lane machine shut down (lights went off).
> Bowler threw an 8-split.
> Machines got turned back on.
> Bowler picks up one of remaining pins.
>

> Is this scenario calssified as a dead ball.
>
> Rule 8e refers to "interferrence"
>
> Rule 8.
> <snip>
> A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
> <snip>
> e. A player is interferred with by the pinsetter, another player, <snip>
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Greg

21 Oct 2003 18:41:46
John O
Re: Dead Ball

> I'd think that it was a legal delivery. If the lights went off in the
whole
> house, then it'd be interference. Let me know if it IS because once in a
> while our computers shut off the lane as the last man is up in the tenth.
> I've had them blink off mid-approach and come back on as the ball gets
> there. It has not been some of my best shots!

I'm not sure I'd ever see the lights on the pins go out, since my eyes are
pretty well focused on my mark...most of the time.

John O

21 Oct 2003 22:17:17
Tony R Smith
Re: Dead Ball

I would, at very least, exercise my right to have a decision made on it
and throw a provisional ball... It doesn't mean that it will be resolved
in your favor, but without a provisional ball it cannot be resolved at all.

Greg Gent wrote:

>Last night in a league the following occurred:
>
>Bowler was in mid-approach.
>Lane machine shut down (lights went off).
>Bowler threw an 8-split.
>Machines got turned back on.
>Bowler picks up one of remaining pins.
>

>Is this scenario calssified as a dead ball.
>
>Rule 8e refers to "interferrence"
>
>Rule 8.
><snip>
>A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
><snip>
>e. A player is interferred with by the pinsetter, another player, <snip>
>
>Any opinions?
>
>Greg

22 Oct 2003 02:19:19
bowldoug
Re: Dead Ball

there was no physical interference therefore a deadball can not be called in
this situation.
you may agree or disagree as you wish, but that is what the bowling Gods
would decide if it went to them.
basically, there has to be contact for there to be interference.
"Greg Gent" <gwg300@cox.net > wrote in message
> Last night in a league the following occurred:
>
> Bowler was in mid-approach.
> Lane machine shut down (lights went off).
> Bowler threw an 8-split.
> Machines got turned back on.
> Bowler picks up one of remaining pins.
>

> Is this scenario calssified as a dead ball.
>
> Rule 8e refers to "interferrence"
>
> Rule 8.
> <snip>
> A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
> <snip>
> e. A player is interferred with by the pinsetter, another player, <snip>
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Greg

22 Oct 2003 11:42:13
Jeff Rife
Re: Dead Ball

bowldoug (bowldoug@ameritech.net) wrote in alt.sport.bowling:
> basically, there has to be contact for there to be interference.

I can understand that the OPs situation wasn't interference, but does there
really have to be contact for it to be interference in all cases?

That would mean that it would be legal for me to "follow" an opponent up
the approach and scream at him as he makes his delivery. Sure, it would
be horribly impolite, but there would be no contact.

Likewise, I can't see how you couldn't call it interference if all the lights
in the house go out during somebody's approach and their shot isn't "normal"
(like maybe they foul, or throw a gutter ball, etc.).

--
Jeff Rife | "In those days Mars was a dreary uninhabitable
301-916-8131 | wasteland much like Utah, but unlike Utah, Mars
| was eventually made livable."
| -- Professor Farnsworth, "Futurama"

22 Oct 2003 16:23:57
Greg B.
Re: Dead Ball

Like if the dead-wood bar dropped down before your ball got there and
blocked the shot. That would really piss me off if it happened on my 3rd
ball in the 10th frame.

--
Greg B.
http://home.comcast.net/~80ktrkr/ <--My New Website!!

"bowldoug" <bowldoug@ameritech.net > wrote in message
> there was no physical interference therefore a deadball can not be called
in
> this situation.
> you may agree or disagree as you wish, but that is what the bowling Gods
> would decide if it went to them.
> basically, there has to be contact for there to be interference.
> "Greg Gent" <gwg300@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Last night in a league the following occurred:
> >
> > Bowler was in mid-approach.
> > Lane machine shut down (lights went off).
> > Bowler threw an 8-split.
> > Machines got turned back on.
> > Bowler picks up one of remaining pins.
> >

> > Is this scenario calssified as a dead ball.
> >
> > Rule 8e refers to "interferrence"
> >
> > Rule 8.
> > <snip>
> > A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
> > <snip>
> > e. A player is interferred with by the pinsetter, another player, <snip>
> >
> > Any opinions?
> >
> > Greg

25 Oct 2003 04:44:11
EldredP
Re: Dead Ball

In article <4d36f697.0310210820.6254054a@posting.google.com >, gwg300@cox.net
(Greg Gent) writes:

>Last night in a league the following occurred:
>
>Bowler was in mid-approach.
>Lane machine shut down (lights went off).
>Bowler threw an 8-split.
>Machines got turned back on.
>Bowler picks up one of remaining pins.
>

>Is this scenario calssified as a dead ball.
>
>Rule 8e refers to "interferrence"
>
>Rule 8.
><snip>
>A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
><snip>
>e. A player is interferred with by the pinsetter, another player, <snip>
>
>Any opinions?

Legal delivery. Interference has to be physical in nature. A 'distraction'
doesn't count. We've had these discussions before...<g >

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Member