21 Jun 2005 07:44:29
Phil Paskos
Bowling-Dying?

I'm just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I signed up at
Berks Lanes here in Reading,PA.
I went over there on a Monday afternoon (yesterday) about 2:00 PM. Out of 48
lanes there were about 6 lanes unused. They tell me this is not unusual
there. And it's not a wall shot, by any means.

Any other places around that are booming?

Phil P

21 Jun 2005 11:00:25
PromptJock
Re: Bowling-Dying?

> I'm just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I signed up at
> Berks Lanes here in Reading,PA.
> I went over there on a Monday afternoon (yesterday) about 2:00 PM. Out of 48
> lanes there were about 6 lanes unused. They tell me this is not unusual
> there. And it's not a wall shot, by any means.

This is fairly normal this time of year. All the "regular" leagues are
done (they finish between end of April and first of June) and any
active leagues are "short" (around 12 weeks) season "fun" (i.e. 9-pin)
leagues. This is the time that most people are taking vacations and
(far too) many Regular Season Leaguers put their balls away for the
summer - not picking them up again until the first day of Regular
Season League (typically starts end of August through mid-September and
runs through April-June: 31-35 weeks).

Therefore, ENJOY all the "free" lane time - use it to re-hone your
skills, get coaching, etc. so you'll be ready to "kick ass" if you
decide to join a league in August/September. :)

BTW: if you Ask Nicely, you MIGHT be able to talk your center's
owner/operator to lay down a PBA/Sport shot Just For You....

21 Jun 2005 14:16:59
Man of the Right
Re: Bowling-Dying?

> BTW: if you Ask Nicely, you MIGHT be able to talk your center's
> owner/operator to lay down a PBA/Sport shot Just For You....

At THAT dump, yeah, right. Hell would freeze over first.

21 Jun 2005 14:15:06
lacunae
Re: Bowling-Dying?

PromptJock wrote:
>>I'm just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I signed up at
>>Berks Lanes here in Reading,PA.
>>I went over there on a Monday afternoon (yesterday) about 2:00 PM. Out of 48
>>lanes there were about 6 lanes unused. They tell me this is not unusual
>>there. And it's not a wall shot, by any means.
>

> This is fairly normal this time of year. All the "regular" leagues are
> done (they finish between end of April and first of June) and any
> active leagues are "short" (around 12 weeks) season "fun" (i.e. 9-pin)
> leagues. This is the time that most people are taking vacations and
> (far too) many Regular Season Leaguers put their balls away for the
> summer - not picking them up again until the first day of Regular
> Season League (typically starts end of August through mid-September and
> runs through April-June: 31-35 weeks).
>
> Therefore, ENJOY all the "free" lane time - use it to re-hone your
> skills, get coaching, etc. so you'll be ready to "kick ass" if you
> decide to join a league in August/September. :)

I thought his point was that there were only 6 open lanes
out of 48 (thus 42 being used), which seems pretty good to
me for 2pm on a weekday. Then again, I can't remember the
last time I bowled in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday
(work tends to get in the way of that), so maybe he was
expecting the place to be packed then??

22 Jun 2005 02:55:58
Blue Hound Technologies
Re: Bowling-Dying?

Where we are, the lanes have people on them from the time it opens until
closing time. In the town that I was born in, it is a different story. The
bowling alley has 32 lanes and only one league, whereas in the 70's it had
leagues all day and all night. It really has not fallen off, the bowlers
migrated south.

"Phil Paskos" <pask@trip.net > wrote in message
> I'm just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I signed up at
> Berks Lanes here in Reading,PA.
> I went over there on a Monday afternoon (yesterday) about 2:00 PM. Out of
> 48 lanes there were about 6 lanes unused. They tell me this is not unusual
> there. And it's not a wall shot, by any means.
>
> Any other places around that are booming?
>
> Phil P

26 Jun 2005 18:51:26
Dan The Man
Re: Bowling-Dying?

Phil Paskos wrote:
> I'm just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I signed up at
> Berks Lanes here in Reading,PA.
> I went over there on a Monday afternoon (yesterday) about 2:00 PM. Out of 48
> lanes there were about 6 lanes unused. They tell me this is not unusual
> there. And it's not a wall shot, by any means.
>
> Any other places around that are booming?
>
> Phil P

Hello Phil,

You probably just got there at a slow time. I was in a Sunday 6PM
summer league at Berks for a couple of years and the place was usually
packed on the weekends. Indeed, it was sometimes impossible to get a
lane on Saturday for practice (one of the reasons I stopped going
there). Currently, I am in a Thursday 6:30PM league at AMF Hiester
Lanes, and when I have gone there to practice on weekday afternoons, it
is almost empty. But on league night, there are not many empty lanes.
And you are definitely right about Berks not using a wall shot. Both
Berks and Hiester actually seem to use MORE oil on the outer edges,
making ten-pin conversions treacherous.

Dan C

05 Jul 2005 04:35:14
Thunder 244