03 Oct 2004 21:11:20
anonymous
Question regarding friend's sets

A rather slender buddy told me that he does 3 sets with 12 reps of dumbell
presses w/ 85lb dumbells. I ain't buying it. For those of you out there
that do similar sets, please put into perspective the size/strength of
someone who can do sets in this range. Thanks.

03 Oct 2004 23:15:00
Stephen Mulholland
Re: Question regarding friend's sets

"anonymous" <anonymous@nowhere.com > wrote in message
> A rather slender buddy told me that he does 3 sets with 12 reps of dumbell
> presses w/ 85lb dumbells. I ain't buying it. For those of you out there
> that do similar sets, please put into perspective the size/strength of
> someone who can do sets in this range. Thanks.

A guy who trains where I train weighs about 130 - 140 lb, is as skinny as
fuck, and deadlifts over 500 lb and benches 240+ lbs.

And it ain't me.

Stephen

---

anonymous
Re: Question regarding friend's sets

I know that it is possible, but this guy isn't cut or real strong looking.
I can max about 250 and I don't lift weights, but I weigh 220 and am
naturally pretty big.

03 Oct 2004 22:26:55
Blair P. Houghton
Re: Question regarding friend's sets

anonymous <anonymous@nowhere.com > wrote:
>A rather slender buddy told me that he does 3 sets with 12 reps of dumbell
>presses w/ 85lb dumbells. I ain't buying it. For those of you out there
>that do similar sets, please put into perspective the size/strength of
>someone who can do sets in this range. Thanks.

That's a 170-lb chest press. I did 165 when I was 15 years
old and weighed 145 lbs.

While bent up in a neck-bridge.

--Blair
"Not impressed."

04 Oct 2004 09:46:56
Skinny
Re: Question regarding friend's sets

"anonymous" <anonymous@nowhere.com > wrote in message
>A rather slender buddy told me that he does 3 sets with 12 reps of dumbell
> presses w/ 85lb dumbells. I ain't buying it. For those of you out there
> that do similar sets, please put into perspective the size/strength of
> someone who can do sets in this range. Thanks.

Possible, I've seen guys who look much smaller & weaker than me, pressing
bigger weights than I can & I've seen great big well muscled fellas struggle
with less than I can manage.

Why not go & work out with him & see for yourself.

04 Oct 2004 15:01:49
Ray

"Skinny" <no@spam.com > wrote in message

> "anonymous" <anonymous@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >A rather slender buddy told me that he does 3 sets with 12 reps of
dumbell
> > presses w/ 85lb dumbells. I ain't buying it. For those of you out
there
> > that do similar sets, please put into perspective the size/strength of
> > someone who can do sets in this range. Thanks.
>
> Possible, I've seen guys who look much smaller & weaker than me, pressing
> bigger weights than I can & I've seen great big well muscled fellas
struggle
> with less than I can manage.
>
> Why not go & work out with him & see for yourself.

I'm middle aged, fifties, and only started going to the gym about
eighteen months ago, to pass some time during semi retirement. I have
however been surprised on several occasions to see young men in their
twenties, who by most would be described as "grand strapping lads" appear
to be struggling to bench 40 kg, more than about three times?

04 Oct 2004 23:39:26
arsefluff
Re: Question regarding friend's sets

peter that trained in centaur benched 140 kg and weighed about 65 kg. no fat
to speak of

neil

"Stephen Mulholland" <stephenmulhollanduk@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message

> "anonymous" <anonymous@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > A rather slender buddy told me that he does 3 sets with 12 reps of
dumbell
> > presses w/ 85lb dumbells. I ain't buying it. For those of you out
there
> > that do similar sets, please put into perspective the size/strength of
> > someone who can do sets in this range. Thanks.
>
> A guy who trains where I train weighs about 130 - 140 lb, is as skinny as
> fuck, and deadlifts over 500 lb and benches 240+ lbs.
>
> And it ain't me.
>
> Stephen
>

> ---

Chingy
Re: Question regarding friend's sets

Maybe they just started when I was 18 I could only bench 20 kg after 2 yr of
training I bench 130kg 6 reps solid.