01 Oct 2004 20:32:03
Kevin
Pec cramp during deadlift

Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

03 Oct 2004 22:33:34
Blair P. Houghton
Re: Pec cramp during deadlift

Kevin <odin33@iwon.com > wrote:
>Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
>it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
>weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
>First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
>have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
>tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
>that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
>cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.
>
>Any help or input would be appreciated.

Drink way more water. Give your muscle some working fluid.

Stretch before and after every chest exercise. Not only
does this loosen the muscle, clean out waste products,
and bring in for fresh fluids, it also adds to the signals
telling the muscle to grow.

--Blair
"Plus it makes you look smart."