27 Apr 2004 14:40:54
timi
Biceps training & correct sitting position on MedX machine

Hello,

I'm a little bit confused on training the biceps on a
biceps machine. It's from MedX. My goal is to get a more
pumped biceps. I think that would be the biceps brachii.
It looks like the following:

You sit and in front of you you put your upper arms and lower
arms on two pads and then you grasp the two bars to pull them
towards my head.

My question is now how high I should sit:
I can sit a little bit lower and then my arms are a little
bit more parallel to the ground and then when I pull towards
me and back I think the arm is in a longer way under pressure. Especially
when I go back in the start position when the arms are nearly
straight I put much effort to go from that to a position where
the arms are more rectangular to the ground.

When I sit a little bit higher the arms are more pointing downwards
and not so parallel to the ground. I think with that the arm is not
so long under pressure as above but I can lift heavier weight.

My feeling is that with the 1st I train more the forearm muscle
(I think called Brachioradialis) rather than the Biceps brachii.
With the second I train more the biceps brachii but maybe I cheat
because the arms are more pointing down and thus I may cheat
a little bit with it.

Can someone give me hints ?

Many Thanks !
Timi

02 May 2004 20:57:24
Mark Curfman
Re: Biceps training & correct sitting position on MedX machine

"timi" <timiffm@gmx.de > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm a little bit confused on training the biceps on a
> biceps machine. It's from MedX. My goal is to get a more
> pumped biceps. I think that would be the biceps brachii.
> It looks like the following:
>
> You sit and in front of you you put your upper arms and lower
> arms on two pads and then you grasp the two bars to pull them
> towards my head.
>
> My question is now how high I should sit:
> I can sit a little bit lower and then my arms are a little
> bit more parallel to the ground and then when I pull towards
> me and back I think the arm is in a longer way under pressure. Especially
> when I go back in the start position when the arms are nearly
> straight I put much effort to go from that to a position where
> the arms are more rectangular to the ground.
>
> When I sit a little bit higher the arms are more pointing downwards
> and not so parallel to the ground. I think with that the arm is not
> so long under pressure as above but I can lift heavier weight.
>
> My feeling is that with the 1st I train more the forearm muscle
> (I think called Brachioradialis) rather than the Biceps brachii.
> With the second I train more the biceps brachii but maybe I cheat
> because the arms are more pointing down and thus I may cheat
> a little bit with it.
>
> Can someone give me hints ?

If you're performing the exercise through a full range of motion with
constant tension, then it probably doesn't matter a whole lot. The other
key is comfort. Set the height at the most comfortable level.

Mark Curfman