16 Jun 2005 22:43:21
HarryUSA
/ / / Air Gun Tragedy Mum Lashes out at Howard / / /

Air gun tragedy mum lashes out at Howard

--Brian Currie
--Evening Times Online

THE mum of shot Glasgow toddler Andrew Morton today slammed Michael Howard
for refusing to back a ban on air guns.

Just two days after the two-year-old was buried, the Tory leader said
banning the weapons would not solve the problem.

But Andrew's mum lashed Mr Howard's "insensitivity", adding: "He didn't have
to bury one of his children this week - I did."
Sharon McMillan, 34, spoke out as Mr Howard arrived for the Scottish Tory
Party's annual conference in Dumfries.

She added: "Has Michael Howard got any kids? How would he feel if it was his
child who was shot in the head with an air gun?
"It's incredibly insensitive for him to come out with something like this so
close to my son's funeral. I think it's disgusting the way Howard and other
MPs can oppose a ban when they have no idea what life is like on a housing
estate full of air guns.
"They should stick to things they know about."

Mr Howard made his controversial comments in a Radio Clyde interview today.

Although he was Home Secretary at the time of the Dunblane massacre, he also
believes the Government went too far in banning hand guns.
He said today: "I'm not sure we want more bans, to be honest. We want those
who do have access to weapons to behave responsibly.
"I was Home Secretary at the time of terrible tragedy of Dunblane and we did
impose restrictions after that.
"I think the Government went too far in banning hand guns altogether, so I
don't think banning things necessarily solves problems. What we must do is
encourage people if they do have access to weapons to use them responsibly."

Mr Howard said he had "every sympathy" with the toddler's family.
He added: "It's a terrible thing to have happened. But I don't honestly
think the answer to every tragedy is to introduce a new ban or to change the
law."

Mr Howard's comments came as a Glasgow MP repeated calls in the Commons for
an air gun ban.
Cathcart MP Tom Harris asked the Government to take action following the
death of Andrew near his Easterhouse home on March 2. The boy was hit in the
head with an airgun pellet.

Mr Harris said: "Following the funeral of Andrew Morton, isn't it time the
Government decided the time for consultation was over and it is now time for
action?"

Leader of the House Peter Hain said the Government was taking the matter
seriously.
At Andrew's funeral on Wednesday, priest Father Tom Magill said that the
tragedy had cast a "shadow of death" over Craigend.
A man has been charged with Andrew's murder.

[...]

---Read More:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5036729.html

###

-Join the National Rifle Association
www.nrahq.org

-Watch The NRA LIVE!
www.nranews.com

--HarryUSA

05 Jul 2005 08:25:04
Sean
Re: / / / Air Gun Tragedy Mum Lashes out at Howard / / /

"HarryUSA" <REMOVE~harryusa1776@yahoo.com~REMOVE > wrote in message
> [...]
> for refusing to back a ban on air guns.
> Just two days after the two-year-old was buried, the Tory leader said
> banning the weapons would not solve the problem.
>
> But Andrew's mum lashed Mr Howard's "insensitivity", adding: "He didn't
> have to bury one of his children this week - I did."
> Sharon McMillan, 34, spoke out as Mr Howard arrived for the Scottish Tory
> Party's annual conference in Dumfries.
>
> She added: "Has Michael Howard got any kids? How would he feel if it was
> his child who was shot in the head with an air gun?
> "It's incredibly insensitive for him to come out with something like this
> so close to my son's funeral. I think it's disgusting the way Howard and
> other MPs can oppose a ban when they have no idea what life is like on a
> housing estate full of air guns.
> "They should stick to things they know about."

It may have appeared to be insensitive to a grieving mother, but the truth
is that he did not say this directly to the grieving mother. It is also true
that the child was shot whilst some moron was trying to illegally shoot at a
fireman who was attending a local fire. I would suggest that if he did not
have an air gun and had instead used half a brick, someone could be just as
dead.
The death of the child was indeed a trajedy, but it was caused by a moron in
his 30's who was trying to cause mayhem. To blame the tool he used is at
best misguided. It is common for the fire brigade in that area to come under
fire from youths with stones, and personally I would rather be hit in the
head by a pellet from an air rifle than with a well thrown half brick.
Michael Howard knew these facts and had the guts to support his beliefs
despite the predictable media frenzy.

11 Jul 2005 19:57:21
HarryUSA
Re: / / / Air Gun Tragedy Mum Lashes out at Howard / / /

> It may have appeared to be insensitive to a grieving mother, but the truth
> is that he did not say this directly to the grieving mother. It is also
> true that the child was shot whilst some moron was trying to illegally
> shoot at a fireman who was attending a local fire. I would suggest that if
> he did not have an air gun and had instead used half a brick, someone
> could be just as dead.
> The death of the child was indeed a trajedy, but it was caused by a moron
> in his 30's who was trying to cause mayhem. To blame the tool he used is
> at best misguided. It is common for the fire brigade in that area to come
> under fire from youths with stones, and personally I would rather be hit
> in the head by a pellet from an air rifle than with a well thrown half
> brick.
> Michael Howard knew these facts and had the guts to support his beliefs
> despite the predictable media frenzy.

_I agree. Blaming the air gun for the actions of the moron is not the way to
go._

HarryUSA