07 Apr 2007 10:35:33
none
Upgrade of foot pounds for more power

how is it done by the manufacturers ? say you have a 12 foot lbs rifle
and you want to take it to 40 how easy is it to do? what components do
they change ?

08 Apr 2007 16:18:37
Re: Upgrade of foot pounds for more power

On Apr 7, 1:35 pm, "none" <opl...@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:
> how is it done by the manufacturers ? say you have a 12 foot lbs rifle
> and you want to take it to 40 how easy is it to do? what components do
> they change ?

You're talking about building a new gun.
You might reuse the barrel, but thats about it.

10 Apr 2007 01:25:10
Hunter

<MadDogR75@yahoo.com > wrote in message
| On Apr 7, 1:35 pm, "none" <opl...@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:
| > how is it done by the manufacturers ? say you have a 12 foot lbs rifle
| > and you want to take it to 40 how easy is it to do? what components do
| > they change ?
|

| You're talking about building a new gun.
| You might reuse the barrel, but thats about it.

Stronger spring or higher pressure = more power!
Easy?...depends on the availability of parts (correct appropriate size
spring) or ability to increase pressure.

20 Apr 2007 16:34:37

On Apr 9, 9:25 pm, "Hunter" <Hun...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> <MadDog...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> | On Apr 7, 1:35 pm, "none" <opl...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> | > how is it done by the manufacturers ? say you have a 12 foot lbs rifle
> | > and you want to take it to 40 how easy is it to do? what components do
> | > they change ?
> |

> | You're talking about building a new gun.
> | You might reuse the barrel, but thats about it.
> |

> Stronger spring or higher pressure = more power!
> Easy?...depends on the availability of parts (correct appropriate size
> spring) or ability to increase pressure.

By 330%??? -- I very much doubt it.

21 Apr 2007 13:33:54
Hunter

| On Apr 9, 9:25 pm, "Hunter" <Hun...@yahoo.com > wrote:
| > <MadDog...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

| > |
| > |
| > | You're talking about building a new gun.
| > | You might reuse the barrel, but thats about it.
| > |

| > Stronger spring or higher pressure = more power!
| > Easy?...depends on the availability of parts (correct appropriate size
| > spring) or ability to increase pressure.
|

| By 330%??? -- I very much doubt it.

Even if I tell you how, you might not be able to do it anyway. You need to
have a good grasp of airgun engineering design principles and Physics
especially in pneumatics and machining.
I didn't say it would be simple for just anybody.

27 Apr 2007 03:08:00
Alfred Brown

"Hunter" <Hunter@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> <MadDogR75@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | On Apr 7, 1:35 pm, "none" <opl...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> | > how is it done by the manufacturers ? say you have a 12 foot lbs rifle
> | > and you want to take it to 40 how easy is it to do? what components do
> | > they change ?
> |

> | You're talking about building a new gun.
> | You might reuse the barrel, but thats about it.
> |

> Stronger spring or higher pressure = more power!
> Easy?...depends on the availability of parts (correct appropriate size
> spring) or ability to increase pressure.

Yes but you are talking delivering the air faster, a stronger spring just compresses
faster, and gets it hotter, which would raise the pressure, but the VOLUME of air is
the same, since the piston and cylinder don't get any bigger. So It will expand
down the barrel and cool to about the same volume, and push down the barrel a little
further, but not that much.
Better to smooth it out by honing the cylinder, fitting a new seal, lubing the
spring for both less friction and more damping of vibration, and fiberglass/epoxy
bedding in the stock.
Then find a pellet it likes.
It will deliver what power it has "right on the spot" which is all that matters
anyway. A hit by a 12 pound gun beats a miss by a .375 H&H Mag.
Good Shooting
AL