18 Apr 2004 21:29:25
Douglas Harrington
Reusing BBs etc

Hello
I have a Crosman 66 Powermaster air rifle and use Daisy BBs
(lead/steel coated i think). I have been firing at glass bottles and
the BBS get small dents in them and I have been reusing them. Can
this damage the gun or lower accuracy? Today I blasted some cans and
a wine bottle (THICK wine bottle) and found the BBs were flattened on
one end. I chucked those aside figuring they were too damaged to
reuse.

Also, anyone ever used that gun (66 Powermaster) I got it for $70 at
a Wal Mart and compared to my air pistol it does wonders. I can blast
tuna cans etc whereas the pistol barely dents them. Just wondering
what others think of it. I also have a mice problem in the basement
where I practice. You know what i'll be doing when they show up in
the summer :)

19 Apr 2004 00:12:23
Trevor Jones
Re: Reusing BBs etc

Douglas Harrington wrote:

> Hello
> I have a Crosman 66 Powermaster air rifle and use Daisy BBs
> (lead/steel coated i think). I have been firing at glass bottles and
> the BBS get small dents in them and I have been reusing them. Can
> this damage the gun or lower accuracy? Today I blasted some cans and
> a wine bottle (THICK wine bottle) and found the BBs were flattened on
> one end. I chucked those aside figuring they were too damaged to
> reuse.
>
> Also, anyone ever used that gun (66 Powermaster) I got it for $70 at
> a Wal Mart and compared to my air pistol it does wonders. I can blast
> tuna cans etc whereas the pistol barely dents them. Just wondering
> what others think of it. I also have a mice problem in the basement
> where I practice. You know what i'll be doing when they show up in
> the summer :)

Just a couple quick notes.

Sigh... Not to sound like your mother or nothin'.... watch for
ricochets, you could lose an eye, shooting at glass bottles. Besides,
you end up having to deal with a pile of broken glass. That can suck.

I doubt you could do much to your BB gun that will do any real damage,
accuracy-wise. If the BB is too badly deformed, it will jam in the
barrel or fly crooked. We're not exactly talkin about an olymic grade
match gun, now, are we?

I'd suggest, if you want to reuse BB's, get a bit of old carpet or
blanket to use for a backstop. Even an old cardboard box stuffed full of
crumpled newspapers works OK.If you set it up right, it can both stop
the BB's and catch them for collecting after.

Save yourself the trouble and buy some mousetraps. Or make some. A
large steel salad bowl works good. Put a couple bits of dog kibble in
the bottom of one and leave it where the mice can get to the lip of the
bowl. They slide on the sides when they try to run out, and when they
jump, they land back in the bowl because they cannot get any sideways
traction, and can only jump straight up.

Have fun. Be safe.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

19 Apr 2004 08:15:08
John Davies
Re: Reusing BBs etc

I just have to ask - with BBs so darn cheap, why even bother ? I would
sweep them up and put them in the trash...

John Davies
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA

19 Apr 2004 20:35:35
Jocelyn Lacharité
Re: Reusing BBs etc

I'm curious what your air pistol is?

Cheers,

Jocelyn.

30 Apr 2004 13:01:23
Just Me Again
Re: Reusing BBs etc

> Save yourself the trouble and buy some mousetraps. Or make some. A
> large steel salad bowl works good. Put a couple bits of dog kibble in
> the bottom of one and leave it where the mice can get to the lip of the
> bowl. They slide on the sides when they try to run out, and when they
> jump, they land back in the bowl because they cannot get any sideways
> traction, and can only jump straight up.

THEN, shoot them!!!