24 Apr 2007 09:04:39
Chris
REcommendations?

I have an old Spanish (I believe) .177 break barrel, and I'm looking to get
something better in 0.22 cal. Don't want to spend too much, and I have
come down to the ones below. And looking at the midrange, the SS1000T and
the RWS 34 look like good choice. Anyone have experience with any of these?
Or, is there a better choice that I haven't listed here in the ~ $300 range?

BAM B30 .22 Side Lever, $159
Hammerli Storm .22, 4x32 scope , $192
Mendoza RM-2000 .22 $192
Beeman SS1000T .22 with 3-9x32 scope, $199
Diana RWS 34 .22 Breakbarrel Rifle, $199
Beeman GH950 .22 Combo 3-9x32 Scope, $229
STINGRAY.22 by Webley & Scott Ltd, $295
Diana RWS 350 Magnum, $359

24 Apr 2007 10:14:23
Ernie Willson
Re: REcommendations?

Chris wrote:
> I have an old Spanish (I believe) .177 break barrel, and I'm looking to get
> something better in 0.22 cal. Don't want to spend too much, and I have
> come down to the ones below. And looking at the midrange, the SS1000T and
> the RWS 34 look like good choice. Anyone have experience with any of these?
> Or, is there a better choice that I haven't listed here in the ~ $300 range?
>
> BAM B30 .22 Side Lever, $159
> Hammerli Storm .22, 4x32 scope , $192
> Mendoza RM-2000 .22 $192
> Beeman SS1000T .22 with 3-9x32 scope, $199
> Diana RWS 34 .22 Breakbarrel Rifle, $199
> Beeman GH950 .22 Combo 3-9x32 Scope, $229
> STINGRAY.22 by Webley & Scott Ltd, $295
> Diana RWS 350 Magnum, $359

If you are in the US, you might want to contact Classic Arms. call them
o the phone. They used to sell Chinese air rifles at quite a discount. >
WWW.CLASICARMS.US
These are not the quality of Hammerli etc. but thy don't cost as much
either.
HTH,
EJ in NJ

26 Apr 2007 15:45:40
Chris
Re: REcommendations?

"Ernie Willson" <ewillson@patmedia.net > wrote in message
> Chris wrote:
>> I have an old Spanish (I believe) .177 break barrel, and I'm looking to
>> get something better in 0.22 cal. Don't want to spend too much, and I
>> have come down to the ones below. And looking at the midrange, the
>> SS1000T and the RWS 34 look like good choice. Anyone have experience
>> with any of these? Or, is there a better choice that I haven't listed
>> here in the ~ $300 range?
>>
>> BAM B30 .22 Side Lever, $159
>> Hammerli Storm .22, 4x32 scope , $192
>> Mendoza RM-2000 .22 $192
>> Beeman SS1000T .22 with 3-9x32 scope, $199
>> Diana RWS 34 .22 Breakbarrel Rifle, $199
>> Beeman GH950 .22 Combo 3-9x32 Scope, $229
>> STINGRAY.22 by Webley & Scott Ltd, $295
>> Diana RWS 350 Magnum, $359
>>

> If you are in the US, you might want to contact Classic Arms. call them o
> the phone. They used to sell Chinese air rifles at quite a discount. >
> WWW.CLASICARMS.US
> These are not the quality of Hammerli etc. but thy don't cost as much
> either.

Thanks.

I also found yellowforum.com and posted some questions there. Regarding the
Chinese airguns, the are cheaper, but from what I've read - you get what you
pay for.

27 Apr 2007 02:53:56
Alfred Brown
Re: REcommendations?

Chris
I have the RWS 34, the RWS 340Mag, and the RWS 48, which the BAM B30 copies.
All are .22, very accurate, and relatively hold-insensitive.
The side lever is a smooth shooting gun but very heavy verses the 350 Mag, at about
the same power.
All are very reliable with good triggers.
I am happy with all of them.
If I were starting out I'd get the 34, just because it is lowest priced.
It has adequate power for anything you would hunt with an air rifle and is lightest
to carry.
The 350 Mag is a 34 with about 3 inches added to it's piston cylinder, giving it
greater air pressure and volume, at the expense of some weight and longer
"follow-through".
I understand that despite the weight, the 48 side lever in .177 is a favorite of
many field target shooters.
Good Shooting.
Al

"Chris" <no.spam@nospam.com > wrote in message
>I have an old Spanish (I believe) .177 break barrel, and I'm looking to get
>something better in 0.22 cal. Don't want to spend too much, and I have come down
>to the ones below. And looking at the midrange, the SS1000T and the RWS 34 look
>like good choice. Anyone have experience with any of these? Or, is there a better
>choice that I haven't listed here in the ~ $300 range?
>
> BAM B30 .22 Side Lever, $159
> Hammerli Storm .22, 4x32 scope , $192
> Mendoza RM-2000 .22 $192
> Beeman SS1000T .22 with 3-9x32 scope, $199
> Diana RWS 34 .22 Breakbarrel Rifle, $199
> Beeman GH950 .22 Combo 3-9x32 Scope, $229
> STINGRAY.22 by Webley & Scott Ltd, $295
> Diana RWS 350 Magnum, $359

27 Apr 2007 11:50:31
Chris
Re: REcommendations?

"Alfred Brown" <abrown2749@charter.net > wrote in message
> Chris
> I have the RWS 34, the RWS 340Mag, and the RWS 48, which the BAM B30
> copies.
> All are .22, very accurate, and relatively hold-insensitive.
> The side lever is a smooth shooting gun but very heavy verses the 350 Mag,
> at about the same power.
> All are very reliable with good triggers.
> I am happy with all of them.
> If I were starting out I'd get the 34, just because it is lowest priced.
> It has adequate power for anything you would hunt with an air rifle and is
> lightest to carry.
> The 350 Mag is a 34 with about 3 inches added to it's piston cylinder,
> giving it greater air pressure and volume, at the expense of some weight
> and longer "follow-through".
> I understand that despite the weight, the 48 side lever in .177 is a
> favorite of many field target shooters.
> Good Shooting.
> Al
>
> "Chris" <no.spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have an old Spanish (I believe) .177 break barrel, and I'm looking to
>>get something better in 0.22 cal. Don't want to spend too much, and I
>>have come down to the ones below. And looking at the midrange, the
>>SS1000T and the RWS 34 look like good choice. Anyone have experience with
>>any of these? Or, is there a better choice that I haven't listed here in
>>the ~ $300 range?
>>
>> BAM B30 .22 Side Lever, $159
>> Hammerli Storm .22, 4x32 scope , $192
>> Mendoza RM-2000 .22 $192
>> Beeman SS1000T .22 with 3-9x32 scope, $199
>> Diana RWS 34 .22 Breakbarrel Rifle, $199
>> Beeman GH950 .22 Combo 3-9x32 Scope, $229
>> STINGRAY.22 by Webley & Scott Ltd, $295
>> Diana RWS 350 Magnum, $359

Thanks. Indeed the 34 looks like a good value. I've spent some time
looking but it gets very confusing very quickly. Brak-barrel, side lever,
pre-charger, pump... and then you have so many manufacturers, with people
swearing that this one or that one is better :-) You know how it is.

After I had posted the first message, I went back and looked at the RWS 48
and the 350 magnum. Definitely don't need the magnum, and the 48 apparently
has a heavier recoil, it's a couple of inches longer than the 34 - and I
don't know what it buys, for the extra $$, so...

I also looked at the RWS 52 that buys you a small increment in muzzle
velocity at double the cost. (I am so..... confused <smile >).

Beemans looked good, but many said to stay away from them. The Hammerli
looked again, but again, people said "stay-away". And. some said, "just buy
a Crosman and be done with it...".

What a headache ;-)

Chris

27 Apr 2007 14:06:53
Farmer
Re: REcommendations?

Chris wrote:
> "Alfred Brown" <abrown2749@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Chris
>> I have the RWS 34, the RWS 340Mag, and the RWS 48, which the BAM B30
>> copies.
>> All are .22, very accurate, and relatively hold-insensitive.
>> The side lever is a smooth shooting gun but very heavy verses the 350 Mag,
>> at about the same power.
>> All are very reliable with good triggers.
>> I am happy with all of them.
>> If I were starting out I'd get the 34, just because it is lowest priced.
>> It has adequate power for anything you would hunt with an air rifle and is
>> lightest to carry.
>> The 350 Mag is a 34 with about 3 inches added to it's piston cylinder,
>> giving it greater air pressure and volume, at the expense of some weight
>> and longer "follow-through".
>> I understand that despite the weight, the 48 side lever in .177 is a
>> favorite of many field target shooters.
>> Good Shooting.
>> Al
>>
>> "Chris" <no.spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an old Spanish (I believe) .177 break barrel, and I'm looking to
>>> get something better in 0.22 cal. Don't want to spend too much, and I
>>> have come down to the ones below. And looking at the midrange, the
>>> SS1000T and the RWS 34 look like good choice. Anyone have experience with
>>> any of these? Or, is there a better choice that I haven't listed here in
>>> the ~ $300 range?
>>>
>>> BAM B30 .22 Side Lever, $159
>>> Hammerli Storm .22, 4x32 scope , $192
>>> Mendoza RM-2000 .22 $192
>>> Beeman SS1000T .22 with 3-9x32 scope, $199
>>> Diana RWS 34 .22 Breakbarrel Rifle, $199
>>> Beeman GH950 .22 Combo 3-9x32 Scope, $229
>>> STINGRAY.22 by Webley & Scott Ltd, $295
>>> Diana RWS 350 Magnum, $359
>>>

> Thanks. Indeed the 34 looks like a good value. I've spent some time
> looking but it gets very confusing very quickly. Brak-barrel, side lever,
> pre-charger, pump... and then you have so many manufacturers, with people
> swearing that this one or that one is better :-) You know how it is.
>
> After I had posted the first message, I went back and looked at the RWS 48
> and the 350 magnum. Definitely don't need the magnum, and the 48 apparently
> has a heavier recoil, it's a couple of inches longer than the 34 - and I
> don't know what it buys, for the extra $$, so...
>
> I also looked at the RWS 52 that buys you a small increment in muzzle
> velocity at double the cost. (I am so..... confused <smile>).
>
> Beemans looked good, but many said to stay away from them. The Hammerli
> looked again, but again, people said "stay-away". And. some said, "just buy
> a Crosman and be done with it...".
>
> What a headache ;-)
>
> Chris

RWS makes nice guns that have remained the same for years and years.

Beeman isn't like they used to be, they have a lot of cheap models now.
Their quality models (R-series, HW-series, etc.) are made by Weihrauch
in Germany and are fabulous - you can find equivalent Weihrauch models
for any of the good Beemans. Their cheap models are pretty generic and
probably made in Spain or China. The HW-30 would be in the $200 price
range. HW-50 is a Weihrauch unit for $300ish.

BSA (England) are nice as well (I have a SuperSport) but prices on those
have gone way up (my $150 SuperSport 10 years ago is a $375 unit now).

Are you dedicated to a 'springer'? $200 would buy you a tuned Sheridan
pump from Mac1 Airguns. Basically a custom gun the way you like it (pick
your options).

If you already have a Spanish gun, I'm thinking that a Mexican, Chinese,
or another Spanish unit (ie - Mendoza, BAM, Gamo) really wouldn't be
much improvement for you.

For $300 in a quality gun you're looking either at break barrel springer
or pump. Side lever or underlever or precharged air will be more money.

27 Apr 2007 16:47:45
Chris
Re: REcommendations?

"Farmer" <address@server.net > wrote in message
> [...]
> any of the good Beemans. Their cheap models are pretty generic and
> probably made in Spain or China. The HW-30 would be in the $200 price
> range. HW-50 is a Weihrauch unit for $300ish.
>
> BSA (England) are nice as well (I have a SuperSport) but prices on those
> have gone way up (my $150 SuperSport 10 years ago is a $375 unit now).
>
> Are you dedicated to a 'springer'? $200 would buy you a tuned Sheridan
> pump from Mac1 Airguns. Basically a custom gun the way you like it (pick
> your options).
>
> If you already have a Spanish gun, I'm thinking that a Mexican, Chinese,
> or another Spanish unit (ie - Mendoza, BAM, Gamo) really wouldn't be much
> improvement for you.
>
> For $300 in a quality gun you're looking either at break barrel springer
> or pump. Side lever or underlever or precharged air will be more money.

Thanks, all this is very helpful (though it doen't make deciding any easier
<smile >). I actually can get a new RWS 48, sidelever, .22 900 fps for
$306. So you see I start questioning muself. Should I spenf $180 and get
the RWS 34 breakbarrel 0.22, or splurge and go for the RWS 48. What would
the extra 40% $$ buy me. Speed? Accuracy? Power? Longevity?

27 Apr 2007 16:50:00
Farmer
Re: REcommendations?

>> RWS makes nice guns that have remained the same for years and years.
>>
>> For $300 in a quality gun you're looking either at break barrel springer
>> or pump. Side lever or underlever or precharged air will be more money.
>
> Thanks, all this is very helpful (though it doen't make deciding any easier
> <smile>). I actually can get a new RWS 48, sidelever, .22 900 fps for
> $306. So you see I start questioning muself. Should I spenf $180 and get
> the RWS 34 breakbarrel 0.22, or splurge and go for the RWS 48. What would
> the extra 40% $$ buy me. Speed? Accuracy? Power? Longevity?

That 40% buys you a gun that's a pound heavier, has a fancier stock with
buttplate etc., is rated slightly more powerful, is nicer looking
(IMHO), and is side lever cocking (more expensive system) instead of
break barrel. Maybe it has better sights or something? No idea on that one.

Some people feel that side or underlever cocking is more accurate, but
my Supersport break barrel is way more accurate than I am anyways.

All RWS rifles are lifetime warranted.