14 Oct 2007 15:49:23
Wayne X
Muzzle velocity on break action air guns

Hi all,

I live in Canada and we have this law where in order to purchase an air gun
with a MV higher that 400 fps one must have a cerificate to "acquire"
firemarms.

So many high quality air guns are purposely factory tuned to opperate at or
below 395 fps to allow for a wider target market. I was wondering if there
is an adjustment that a shooter could tweak (like on painball markers) to
increase the MV. I also realize that there are many differences on air
guns made by different manufacturers and a lot depends on the design of the
rifle. Maybe there is some feature to look for that would be more or less
common to many airgun designs. This particular one comes with a break-down
drawing with a parts list.

I have heard of pulling out the spring and stretching it and also placing
spacers between the spring and seat but I don't really want to disassemble
the whole rifle. I just wonder if there is a screw or something.

Is there law of this sort in many places? Perhaps in Europe? which makes
it worthwhile for manufacturers to even bother selling into this market.

WM
Thanks in advance for your response.

14 Oct 2007 11:03:26
Farmer
Re: Muzzle velocity on break action air guns

Wayne X wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I live in Canada and we have this law where in order to purchase an air gun
> with a MV higher that 400 fps one must have a cerificate to "acquire"
> firemarms.
>
> So many high quality air guns are purposely factory tuned to opperate at or
> below 395 fps to allow for a wider target market. I was wondering if there
> is an adjustment that a shooter could tweak (like on painball markers) to
> increase the MV. I also realize that there are many differences on air
> guns made by different manufacturers and a lot depends on the design of the
> rifle. Maybe there is some feature to look for that would be more or less
> common to many airgun designs. This particular one comes with a break-down
> drawing with a parts list.
>
> I have heard of pulling out the spring and stretching it and also placing
> spacers between the spring and seat but I don't really want to disassemble
> the whole rifle. I just wonder if there is a screw or something.
>
> Is there law of this sort in many places? Perhaps in Europe? which makes
> it worthwhile for manufacturers to even bother selling into this market.
>
> WM
> Thanks in advance for your response.

The law is under 500fps is unregulated, not 400, so there are many guns
available at 495fps. Over that, it becomes a firearm and you require the
PAL certificate (which is not hard to get, about the same as getting a
passport). And the rifle should be registered.

There are not typically adjustments to increase the power. Internal
modifications are necessary.

I believe in UK the law is under 12ft-lb of muzzle energy doesn't
require FAC (their term for PAL). So we are not the only ones that have
restrictions.

Realize that if you

A) modify an air rifle to deliver over 500fps muzzle velocity, that you
are now in possession of an unlicensed long gun (which appears to be a
fairly minor infraction at today's level of enforcement).
B) modify an air PISTOL to deliver over 500fps, you are now in illegal
possession of a restricted fire arm (go directly to jail).

IANAL but bottom line is - if you want an air rifle over 500fps, get
your PAL! Stay legal! And you also then open up to a whole world of
super quality air arms that are not available under 500fps.

14 Oct 2007 19:42:16
oldpink
Re: Muzzle velocity on break action air guns

Farmer wrote:
[...]
> The law is under 500fps is unregulated, not 400, so there are many guns
> available at 495fps. Over that, it becomes a firearm and you require the
> PAL certificate (which is not hard to get, about the same as getting a
> passport). And the rifle should be registered.
>
> There are not typically adjustments to increase the power. Internal
> modifications are necessary.
>
> I believe in UK the law is under 12ft-lb of muzzle energy doesn't
> require FAC (their term for PAL). So we are not the only ones that have
> restrictions.
>
> Realize that if you
>
> A) modify an air rifle to deliver over 500fps muzzle velocity, that you
> are now in possession of an unlicensed long gun (which appears to be a
> fairly minor infraction at today's level of enforcement).
> B) modify an air PISTOL to deliver over 500fps, you are now in illegal
> possession of a restricted fire arm (go directly to jail).
>
> IANAL but bottom line is - if you want an air rifle over 500fps, get
> your PAL! Stay legal! And you also then open up to a whole world of
> super quality air arms that are not available under 500fps.

I was already aware of these restrictions, but allow me to extend my
sympathies for such utter nonsense from your idiot politicians.
Next thing to come down the pike from these nanny wannabees will be a
ban on knives, then another ban on fists and feet.
:-(
--
And what exactly is a joke?