27 Apr 2004 16:15:51
Jeff
How many shots do you get per CO2 cartridge w/ a .22 pistol?

The approximate number of shots you can get out of a .22 cal CO2 pistol
like the Crosman 2240 (just an example) per CO2 cartridge seems to be
something deeply shrouded in mystery. Can anyone enlighten me as to
what that number of shots, at roughly 80 deg. F,. I can expect before a
real power drop-off?

Thanks.

My server can be a bit finickey as to how long they keep posts online.
I'll check back here but also please drop me a mail as to the answer at
swordfish(remove this)@grandecom.net.


27 Apr 2004 19:09:35
Generic
Re: How many shots do you get per CO2 cartridge w/ a .22 pistol?


"Jeff" <noneoUbusiness@getlost.com > wrote in message
news:270420041615517035%noneoUbusiness@getlost.com...
> The approximate number of shots you can get out of a .22 cal CO2 pistol
> like the Crosman 2240 (just an example) per CO2 cartridge seems to be
> something deeply shrouded in mystery. Can anyone enlighten me as to
> what that number of shots, at roughly 80 deg. F,. I can expect before a
> real power drop-off?

No great mystery, but there can never be a black and white answer to your
question (as stated). Velocity drops off gradually and the curve becomes
progressively steeper over time. You have to make the call based on
experience with a specific combination of gun, pellet and weather.

What is a "real" power drop-off to you? 5%, 10%, 20%, 50%?

-John




27 Apr 2004 21:43:29
Trevor Jones
Re: How many shots do you get per CO2 cartridge w/ a .22 pistol?

Jeff wrote:
>
> The approximate number of shots you can get out of a .22 cal CO2 pistol
> like the Crosman 2240 (just an example) per CO2 cartridge seems to be
> something deeply shrouded in mystery. Can anyone enlighten me as to
> what that number of shots, at roughly 80 deg. F,. I can expect before a
> real power drop-off?
>
> Thanks.
>
> My server can be a bit finickey as to how long they keep posts online.
> I'll check back here but also please drop me a mail as to the answer at
> swordfish(remove this)@grandecom.net.

Shot count varies with temperature, and from gun to gun depending on
how the valve is, from the factory. I would expect 20 or so "good" shots
per cart, but have seen ome guns get far more, at lesser power levels.

Cheers
Trevor Jones


28 Apr 2004 00:50:07
Jeff
Re: How many shots do you get per CO2 cartridge w/ a .22 pistol?

Let's say I consider a real power drop-off to be when you have 50% of
the power you had when the cartridge was fresh, just for the sake of
argument.

Thanks


In article <408F2861.35DAD150@sympatico.ca >, Trevor Jones
<t.o.jones@sympatico.ca > wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> >
> > The approximate number of shots you can get out of a .22 cal CO2 pistol
> > like the Crosman 2240 (just an example) per CO2 cartridge seems to be
> > something deeply shrouded in mystery. Can anyone enlighten me as to
> > what that number of shots, at roughly 80 deg. F,. I can expect before a
> > real power drop-off?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > My server can be a bit finickey as to how long they keep posts online.
> > I'll check back here but also please drop me a mail as to the answer at
> > swordfish(remove this)@grandecom.net.
>
> Shot count varies with temperature, and from gun to gun depending on
> how the valve is, from the factory. I would expect 20 or so "good" shots
> per cart, but have seen ome guns get far more, at lesser power levels.
>
> Cheers
> Trevor Jones


30 Apr 2004 02:33:22
Chris Braid
Re: How many shots do you get per CO2 cartridge w/ a .22 pistol?

In article <280420040050076092%noneoUbusiness@getlost.com >,
Jeff <noneoUbusiness@getlost.com > wrote:

> Let's say I consider a real power drop-off to be when you have 50% of
> the power you had when the cartridge was fresh, just for the sake of
> argument.
>
> Thanks

Here's a typical string from my 2240.

Crosman 2240
Scorpion Sting 10.2 grain, hollow point
sho# fps
1 457.1
2 452.2
3 436
4 421.7
5 447.9
6 442.8
7 444.5
8 409.8
9 446.3
10 431.3
11 415.5
12 429.6
13 411.7
14 427.9
15 412.9
16 400.1
17 429
18 432.5
19 397.9
20 417.2
21 399
22 415.6
23 399.3
24 394.4
25 418.4
26 418.5
27 379.6
28 403.7
29 353.2
30 344.4
31 330.4
32 335
33 296.5
34 278.7
35 269.1
36 208.5
37 137.2
38 233.9
39 124.9
40 103.1
There were 5 more shots that didn't register on the chronograph for
whatever reason.

- Chris