11 Aug 2004 15:46:29
Gene Seibel
Green Gas

Can any one tell me what Green Gas actually consists of? The cannister
lists no ingredients.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

12 Aug 2004 00:15:36
Adam Greatrix
Re: Green Gas

"Gene Seibel" <gene@pad39a.com > wrote in message
> Can any one tell me what Green Gas actually consists of? The cannister
> lists no ingredients.

It's Propane, and usually contains some silicone oil as a lubricant.

Adam

12 Aug 2004 11:22:02
Andrew @ Rockface
Re: Green Gas

Adam Greatrix wrote:
> "Gene Seibel" <gene@pad39a.com> wrote in message
>> Can any one tell me what Green Gas actually consists of? The
>> cannister lists no ingredients.
>
> It's Propane, and usually contains some silicone oil as a lubricant.
>
> Adam

Do you know if there's a problem with ignition occuring in the barrel? No
idea what the combustion point of propane is, but it's got to be less than
gun oil (dieseling).

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)

12 Aug 2004 11:31:47
E. Willson
Re: Green Gas

"Andrew @ Rockface" wrote:

> Adam Greatrix wrote:
> > "Gene Seibel" <gene@pad39a.com> wrote in message
> >> Can any one tell me what Green Gas actually consists of? The
> >> cannister lists no ingredients.
> >
> > It's Propane, and usually contains some silicone oil as a lubricant.
> >
> > Adam
>
> Do you know if there's a problem with ignition occuring in the barrel? No
> idea what the combustion point of propane is, but it's got to be less than
> gun oil (dieseling).
>
> --
> Andrew @ Rockface
> np: (Winamp is not active ;-)
> www.rockface-records.co.uk

Actually diesel oil ignites under compression much easier that propane. When
natural gas or propane is burned in internal combustion engines it is spark
ignited.

HTH,
Ernie

12 Aug 2004 22:22:15
Adam Greatrix
Re: Green Gas

> Do you know if there's a problem with ignition occuring in the barrel? No
> idea what the combustion point of propane is, but it's got to be less than
> gun oil (dieseling).

It's highly unlikely. There's no (or rather hardly any) oxygen in the barrel
allow for combustion. Think about it - whatever you're firing (be it pellet,
bb, paintball, whatever) is right at the end of the barrel. It's a tight
fit. Your "green gas" is then decompressed behind whatever you're firing and
as it expands it blows whatever you're firing down and out the end of the
barrel. As the pressure of the gas behind whatever you're firing is greater
than the pressure outside of the barrel no air can pass by the
pellet/bb/paintball. All the time it's just expanding gas behind it. It
doesn't get a chance to mix with the oxygen in the atmosphere until it comes
out the end of the barrel along with your pellet (or whatever), by which
time there's nothing hot enough to ignite it.

Adam

12 Aug 2004 23:55:55
Alfred Brown
Re: Green Gas

Ernie is correct Propane gas has an octane rating of about 115. Will not diesel at
all.
AL
"E. Willson" <ewillson@patmedia.net > wrote in message

> "Andrew @ Rockface" wrote:
>
> > Adam Greatrix wrote:
> > > "Gene Seibel" <gene@pad39a.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > It's Propane, and usually contains some silicone oil as a lubricant.
> > >
> > > Adam
> >
> > Do you know if there's a problem with ignition occuring in the barrel? No
> > idea what the combustion point of propane is, but it's got to be less than
> > gun oil (dieseling).
> >
> > --
> > Andrew @ Rockface
> > np: (Winamp is not active ;-)
> > www.rockface-records.co.uk
>
> Actually diesel oil ignites under compression much easier that propane. When
> natural gas or propane is burned in internal combustion engines it is spark
> ignited.
>
> HTH,
> Ernie

13 Aug 2004 06:43:47
Trevor Jones
Re: Green Gas

"Andrew @ Rockface" wrote:

> Do you know if there's a problem with ignition occuring in the barrel? No
> idea what the combustion point of propane is, but it's got to be less than
> gun oil (dieseling).

It's worth rememering that dieseling is the result of compressing a
flammable mix rapidly. There is zero danger of this, as the gas is
actually being used as the propellant here (it is DECOMPRESSING
rapidly,and cooling).

Cheers
Trevor Jones