11 Feb 2005 17:09:22
notjustjay
Crosman C40 accuracy question

Hi, sorry to use Google Groups but my normal news provider doesn't get
access to this group (grr).

Question about my new Crosman C40 pistol. I had previously bought a
Crosman RepeatAir 1008 (i.e. the plastic version of the C40). This was
my very first airgun ever. After a little bit of practice I was able
to quite accurately shoot at my target (I'm using Daisy air rifle
targets and shooting from about 5 meters to start). No adjusting the
sights necessary. I liked that.

I brought home the new gun, loaded up, and... shots were WAY off the
target. (Like 3 inches too far below and to the left) I spent the
first few CO2 canisters adjusted the sights to what seemed to be
correct. Finally I was hitting the black, though still not quite as
accurate as I was with the 1008.

Thought I was happy, then I decided to start playing with some
different kinds of pellets. Loaded in new CO2 and pellets yesterday,
and ... whoa! Way off target again.

Questions:
1. Is accuracy of the gun affected by the power or "freshness" of the
CO2 cartridge? Is it possible, on one CO2 cartridge, that the first
few shots are way off and the rest get better and better?

2. Do different brands/types of pellets greatly influence the
accuracy? When I had the gun starting to fire well I had been using
Crosman .177's, wadcutters... then I ran out so I bought a new pack of
pointed pellets (Crosman, also Gamo). These were the ones that I found
were consistently way off again -- this time all too high and to the
left.

3. Pellets frequently misfire, perhaps 1 in every 15 shots -- the gun
makes a muffled pop and the pellet stays in the clip. Is this
"normal"? I never saw that happen with my 1008. And these are using
Crosman pellets, too, though it seems to happen with roughly the same
rate with the Gamo pellets.

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with the C40 when I was
aiming perfectly with the 1008 and not misfiring, either... and getting
more shots with the CO2, to boot. I'm starting to seriously wonder if
I have a bad C40. Maybe that just comes with getting a heavier, metal
gun?

What do people think?

Thanks all.

11 Feb 2005 22:11:20
Farmer
Re: Crosman C40 accuracy question

1. not unless you have a really really old weak gas cartridge.
2. yes, dramatically. experiment and pick one you like. I haven't had
any luck with pointed.
3. sorry, no experience with C40 although I think they're pretty neat.

notjustjay wrote:
> Hi, sorry to use Google Groups but my normal news provider doesn't get
> access to this group (grr).
>
> Question about my new Crosman C40 pistol. I had previously bought a
> Crosman RepeatAir 1008 (i.e. the plastic version of the C40). This was
> my very first airgun ever. After a little bit of practice I was able
> to quite accurately shoot at my target (I'm using Daisy air rifle
> targets and shooting from about 5 meters to start). No adjusting the
> sights necessary. I liked that.
>
> I brought home the new gun, loaded up, and... shots were WAY off the
> target. (Like 3 inches too far below and to the left) I spent the
> first few CO2 canisters adjusted the sights to what seemed to be
> correct. Finally I was hitting the black, though still not quite as
> accurate as I was with the 1008.
>
> Thought I was happy, then I decided to start playing with some
> different kinds of pellets. Loaded in new CO2 and pellets yesterday,
> and ... whoa! Way off target again.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is accuracy of the gun affected by the power or "freshness" of the
> CO2 cartridge? Is it possible, on one CO2 cartridge, that the first
> few shots are way off and the rest get better and better?
>
> 2. Do different brands/types of pellets greatly influence the
> accuracy? When I had the gun starting to fire well I had been using
> Crosman .177's, wadcutters... then I ran out so I bought a new pack of
> pointed pellets (Crosman, also Gamo). These were the ones that I found
> were consistently way off again -- this time all too high and to the
> left.
>
> 3. Pellets frequently misfire, perhaps 1 in every 15 shots -- the gun
> makes a muffled pop and the pellet stays in the clip. Is this
> "normal"? I never saw that happen with my 1008. And these are using
> Crosman pellets, too, though it seems to happen with roughly the same
> rate with the Gamo pellets.
>
> I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with the C40 when I was
> aiming perfectly with the 1008 and not misfiring, either... and getting
> more shots with the CO2, to boot. I'm starting to seriously wonder if
> I have a bad C40. Maybe that just comes with getting a heavier, metal
> gun?
>
> What do people think?
>
> Thanks all.

11 Feb 2005 20:18:23
Mike Nelson

notjustjay wrote:
> Hi, sorry to use Google Groups but my normal news provider doesn't get
> access to this group (grr).
>
> Question about my new Crosman C40 pistol. I had previously bought a
> Crosman RepeatAir 1008 (i.e. the plastic version of the C40). This was
> my very first airgun ever. After a little bit of practice I was able
> to quite accurately shoot at my target (I'm using Daisy air rifle
> targets and shooting from about 5 meters to start). No adjusting the
> sights necessary. I liked that.
>
> I brought home the new gun, loaded up, and... shots were WAY off the
> target. (Like 3 inches too far below and to the left) I spent the
> first few CO2 canisters adjusted the sights to what seemed to be
> correct. Finally I was hitting the black, though still not quite as
> accurate as I was with the 1008.
>
> Thought I was happy, then I decided to start playing with some
> different kinds of pellets. Loaded in new CO2 and pellets yesterday,
> and ... whoa! Way off target again.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is accuracy of the gun affected by the power or "freshness" of the
> CO2 cartridge? Is it possible, on one CO2 cartridge, that the first
> few shots are way off and the rest get better and better?

Yes. Mine tends to string vertically. A full new cartridge will shoot
a little fast, so it hits high. Then as the temp drops they slow down
and hit on target. Then, when the CO2 is almost gone, the velocity
starts dropping off and it hits low.

> 2. Do different brands/types of pellets greatly influence the
> accuracy? When I had the gun starting to fire well I had been using
> Crosman .177's, wadcutters... then I ran out so I bought a new pack of
> pointed pellets (Crosman, also Gamo). These were the ones that I found
> were consistently way off again -- this time all too high and to the
> left.

Most certainly. Some I've shot some that look more like a shotgun.
Others will be nearly one-holers. Find what your gun likes and stick
with it. My guns seems to like the domed pellets best, pointed
somewhat, and it flings wad cutters everywhere.

> 3. Pellets frequently misfire, perhaps 1 in every 15 shots -- the gun
> makes a muffled pop and the pellet stays in the clip. Is this
> "normal"? I never saw that happen with my 1008. And these are using
> Crosman pellets, too, though it seems to happen with roughly the same
> rate with the Gamo pellets.

It occasionally happens to my 1077.

> I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with the C40 when I was
> aiming perfectly with the 1008 and not misfiring, either... and getting
> more shots with the CO2, to boot. I'm starting to seriously wonder if
> I have a bad C40. Maybe that just comes with getting a heavier, metal
> gun?

Could be. The best you can hope for, unless you have a chronograph, is
to shoot from a sand bag or rest. There are a lot of variables and
differences between the guns, weight, trigger pull, etc. that might be
causing the problems. You have to figure out if their yours or the
guns. Some guns take a bit to break in.

> What do people think?

Think? What's that??

Mike

11 Feb 2005 21:04:48
notjustjay
Re: Crosman C40 accuracy question

Thanks Mike and Farmer. I guess I'll have to keep playing around. I
wanted to move away from wadcutters because I find they tend to make a
bigger mess of my targets, but it sounds like they might be what my gun
likes. Haven't tried domed, maybe I'll give those a try too.

It sounds like from your replies that this is normal behaviour (well,
the jamming is still in question) so I'll stick to my guns (ha!) and
keep trying different things.

I definitely notice the first dozen or so shots on the C40 are much
stronger and louder than the rest, and power seems to drop off fairly
quickly. I can understand vertical striping for sure, but mine seems
to be horizontal, if anything.

Sounds like things are normal, anyway, which is reassuring...