15 Jan 2005 16:32:25
Les
Crosman 38T

Just picked up a 38T Target .177 in nice shape. Shoots great, but I
can't make it do single action - the hammer doesn't stay back. Double
action is fine. Any ideas?

Les

16 Jan 2005 09:47:01
Trevor Jones
Re: Crosman 38T

Les wrote:

> Just picked up a 38T Target .177 in nice shape. Shoots great, but I
> can't make it do single action - the hammer doesn't stay back. Double
> action is fine. Any ideas?
>
> Les

Three things right off the top of my head.

- The hammer has been chipped in the sear area.
or
-The trigger has been chipped in the sear area.

(either will prevent the hammer from being held back)

or
- there is something blocking the trigger from holding the hammer back.
Could be junk that was floating loose inside, or could be parts
installed wrong.

It'll take abot two minutes and a slot screwdriver to get the side
panel off to have a look to see.

Do it after you empty the CO2.:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

16 Jan 2005 13:16:58
Les
Re: Crosman 38T

Trevor Jones wrote:
> Les wrote:
>
>>Just picked up a 38T Target .177 in nice shape. Shoots great, but I
>>can't make it do single action - the hammer doesn't stay back. Double
>>action is fine. Any ideas?
>>
>>Les
>

> Three things right off the top of my head.
>
> - The hammer has been chipped in the sear area.
> or
> -The trigger has been chipped in the sear area.
>
> (either will prevent the hammer from being held back)
>
> or
> - there is something blocking the trigger from holding the hammer back.
> Could be junk that was floating loose inside, or could be parts
> installed wrong.
>
> It'll take abot two minutes and a slot screwdriver to get the side
> panel off to have a look to see.
>
> Do it after you empty the CO2.:-)
>
> Cheers
> Trevor Jones

Thanks Trevor;

I looked inside but didn't find anything amiss other than old dry
grease. After a bit more investigation I find that it works if you don't
have the gas cartridge in place; once the cartridge is installed then
you can pull the hammer back and it will stay but it takes a LOT more
effort. So my conclusion is that the assembly at the top of the
cartridge is somehow blocking the hammer from going back when the
cartridge is installed.
Checking....

Les

16 Jan 2005 17:01:00
Les
Re: Crosman 38T

Les wrote:
> Trevor Jones wrote:
>
>> Les wrote:
>>
>>> Just picked up a 38T Target .177 in nice shape. Shoots great, but I
>>> can't make it do single action - the hammer doesn't stay back. Double
>>> action is fine. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Les
>>

>> Three things right off the top of my head.
>>
>> - The hammer has been chipped in the sear area.
>> or
>> -The trigger has been chipped in the sear area.
>>
>> (either will prevent the hammer from being held back)
>>
>> or - there is something blocking the trigger from holding the hammer
>> back.
>> Could be junk that was floating loose inside, or could be parts
>> installed wrong.
>>
>> It'll take abot two minutes and a slot screwdriver to get the side
>> panel off to have a look to see.
>>
>> Do it after you empty the CO2.:-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Trevor Jones
>

> Thanks Trevor;
>
> I looked inside but didn't find anything amiss other than old dry
> grease. After a bit more investigation I find that it works if you don't
> have the gas cartridge in place; once the cartridge is installed then
> you can pull the hammer back and it will stay but it takes a LOT more
> effort. So my conclusion is that the assembly at the top of the
> cartridge is somehow blocking the hammer from going back when the
> cartridge is installed.
> Checking....
>
> Les

Okay, here's the deal. When the cartridge is inserted the piercing
assembly moves just a hair towards the top of the gun, and a bit out
towards the open grip. This is just enough that the hammer touches the
nut that holds the copper tube to the piercing assy and won't let the
hammer move far enough for the sear to engage. I have jammed some foil
between the frame and the piercer so it can't move so far and can now
shoot single action. I think though that I will cut some brass shim to
hold the piercer in place more solidly.

Les

21 Jan 2005 20:39:20
Trevor Jones
Re: Crosman 38T

Les wrote:

> Okay, here's the deal. When the cartridge is inserted the piercing
> assembly moves just a hair towards the top of the gun, and a bit out
> towards the open grip. This is just enough that the hammer touches the
> nut that holds the copper tube to the piercing assy and won't let the
> hammer move far enough for the sear to engage. I have jammed some foil
> between the frame and the piercer so it can't move so far and can now
> shoot single action. I think though that I will cut some brass shim to
> hold the piercer in place more solidly.
>
> Les

Sounds like the CO2 screw was torqued down a bit much at some point in
it's life, and may have bent one or more of the tabs inside the frame
halves.

They are just pot metal.

I suspect that the shim idea is about the best solution, in that it
gives function, without having to do anything drastic.

Cheers
Trevor Jones